Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Thanks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  06:34:29  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recent experiences at different Christian forums have led me to come back to Skeptic Friends and thank the people here for being fair over the years I have posted here. For all my rhetoric at times I was never once warned or banned from this site or told that my posts were not welcome here by the moderators. If you did not agree with what I said you simply posted a rebuttal to it and discussion ensued. I really do appreciate that.

I was banned at a different Christian forum after eight posts with this initial explanation:

“vBulletin MessageYou have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never”

I asked for a reason through an e-mail and this was their response:

“Argumentative attitude, insults and rude behavior to name a few..you obviously put great trust in man and not God...you depend on man made garbage instead of the way God meant it to be.
You really don't deserve an answer, but there it is.”

All this was from a difference of opinion on whether we should vaccinate our children or not. Claims were made that the Amish that do not get vaccinated do not get Autism and that vaccinations have killed more people than if they were never given at all. I linked to five scientific studies that refuted these claims. These posts were deleted and I was banned without warning.

Unfortunately this has been the norm on some Christian discussion forums I have visited. This was the most extreme example, but I have been warned at other sites for even trying to refute what others were saying by bringing science into the discussion.

Anyway, thanks for letting every argument be made on this forum without censorship.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  08:19:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome "home," Robb! I feel your pain, actually. When someone is arrogant enough to tell you that you "trust in man and not God," it's only fair for someone like yourself to question their vision of what they think the deity is telling them. Aren't they, like you, mortal and fallible?

That these people reject vaccination and the real science behind it is both sad and telling of their cliquish close-mindedness.

It's really hard to come up with good reasons why that kind of insanity is becoming so common in many Christian (and Moslem) circles these days.

Keep your mind open, Robb, and, just as with us all, hopefully not so open that your brain falls out.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/31/2010 08:20:04
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  08:34:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Robb! I've always enjoyed your posts even (especially?) when we haven't been in agreement.

And I am pleased to see that a lesson has been learned....




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  08:44:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“vBulletin MessageYou have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never”

This wasn't "Rapture Ready" was it?


Anyway, thanks. We strive for civility here, well, at least the others do..

“Argumentative attitude, insults and rude behavior to name a few..you obviously put great trust in man and not God...you depend on man made garbage instead of the way God meant it to be.
You really don't deserve an answer, but there it is.”


What jackoffs. "Don't deserve an answer?" The fuck??


>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 03/31/2010 08:46:26
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13462 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  09:35:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't give our forum an A for civility. Hell, I have worked for a while just to bring it up to a C-. But we do not censor and we do discuss. And unless someone actually breaks our rules, which aren't very stringent, it's not easy to get banned from this forum.

I have been banned from several Christian forums for the crime of asking a question. I was always polite. I don't even try anymore. Our agenda is to promote critical thinking. And how can you do that if there is no dialog? Hell, we even argue among ourselves. We don't all walk in lockstep with each other, though as skeptics, we do probably agree on some basic principles as defined by the rules of logic, science and critical thinking. If we were not open to dissenting views or at the very least, open to listening to dissenting views and commenting on them, we would be nothing less than back slapping hypocrites, fingers in our ears, promoting another dogma.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  11:53:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Robb, good to have a few varied opinions around which aren't "The sun has a solid core" extreme.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  12:53:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Welcome back Robb, good to have a few varied opinions around which aren't "The sun has a solid core" extreme.
What?? Surely your not telling me you are a "Solid Core" denier?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  16:25:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Welcome back Robb, good to have a few varied opinions around which aren't "The sun has a solid core" extreme.
What?? Surely your not telling me you are a "Solid Core" denier?


What? Ban him!

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  18:02:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent them back this message although I really do not think I will hear back from them.

I realize that I may have been argumentative but isn’t that what discussion is about. As far as being rude or insulting, telling the truth does not make you popular. Ask Jesus. I think the real reason you banned me was because you felt threatened that your belief may be wrong. If this is not the reason then why delete my two posts that linked to scientific studies showing that there is no link between vaccinations and autism?

You say I put trust in man instead of God. I have a question for you. Do you sit in your house and pray for food and wait until it falls from the sky? Probably not, you work for money and buy the food at some store. Couldn’t I say that you have more faith in yourself than God? Same with the vaccinations.

I do apologies for any insults you may have perceived, and will take that into consideration when posting elsewhere. Thanks,


Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  18:28:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“Argumentative attitude, insults and rude behavior to name a few...


Shit, I thought those were prerequisites for posting here . Anyway, welcome back Robb.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  18:47:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. An antivax site.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  18:54:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Wow. An antivax site.
????????

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9669 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  15:26:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by the_ignored

Wow. An antivax site.
????????

Website devoted to the spread of lies about vaccines. Anti-vaccine. Who irrationally believe that vaccine causes autism, and does everything they can to propagate that lie, just like Jim Carey's wife whats-her-name...


Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  16:02:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by the_ignored

Wow. An antivax site.
????????

Website devoted to the spread of lies about vaccines. Anti-vaccine. Who irrationally believe that vaccine causes autism, and does everything they can to propagate that lie, just like Jim Carey's wife whats-her-name...


Thanks, My nephew is autistic and parents of autistic children have a srong desire to want to know a reason for the condition and vacinnes are tempting to blame. My sister is in the medical profession and even she had to work through the temptation to blame vacinnes. These websites do not help parents to the real truth. They do more harm than good. Parents get wrapped up into fighting vacinnes instead of looking at other options fo rtheir child.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  17:25:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've missed your myopic presence, welcome back to our den of heathens. Moral Christians my ass, their deeds expose the lies they live. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  10:08:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Robb.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000