Just saw "Clash of the Titans" (in 2d)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  18:35:38  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*very minor spoilers in topic*

The reason for the 2d is that apparently the 3d version is quite poorly done.
One interesting point is that there are no actual Titans in this film, the original 1981 film had Atlas, but his bit-part wasn't included in this version. Another thing I found out was that the "Kraken" is a Norse name for a sea monster, the original Greek myth had a monster called a "Cetus". Strange how the 1981 film has become the new archtype for the Persius myth. One thing I found out after watching the film is that Ralph Fiennes played Hades. I assumed Liam Neeson played both Zeus AND Hades because they look so alike and both had beards.
Sam Worthington did the same kind of thing he did in Avatar, basically just say his lines. I don't understand where this guy came from or why he can't keep a consistent accent through a film.
There were some cool moments in this film "Release the Kraken!" for example got the juices flowing a bit. But I don't think it will be well received. The characters aren't fleshed out and what you see is what you get. But the performances and dialogue were good enough so the film wasn't embarrassing like other Hollywood remakes.

Personally I quite enjoyed this film, but in the UK "Argos" is the name of a popular chain of stores, so when the heroes remark like "we've just come from Argos", people in the cinema would laugh.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  20:51:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the useful review, OFFC! All things considered, I'm cheesy enough myself to see this thing.
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Personally I quite enjoyed this film, but in the UK "Argos" is the name of a popular chain of stores, so when the heroes remark like "we've just come from Argos", people in the cinema would laugh.
Well, were they toting shopping bags?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  21:10:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they got rid of the mechanical owl, the remake will be a step up from the original.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  01:58:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ
Another thing I found out was that the "Kraken" is a Norse name for a sea monster

In contemporary Swedish, "Kraken" is the definite article form for 'little poor thing' such as used in 'aww, did you hurt yourself, you little poor thing, come here I'll give you a hug'.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  04:59:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the owl makes a brief cameo.

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  07:13:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My girls want to see this. I'm also going to show them the original with it's "cutting edge" effects. I've shown them the original King Kong and the Golden Voyage of Sinbad (which I LOVED) and they looked at me like I had a third eye. They always get a good chuckle at my expense.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  13:29:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw it - meh. Still have fondness for the original - saw in theaters back in '81 when I was 11 - first movie where I saw breast and butt.

I thought the "cameo" by the owl in the remake was cheap - the medusa in the original was better. IMHO.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.