California county horribly abuses old gay couple
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  06:32:05  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is PZ Myers' take on this atrocity, and here's the story in Stranger, "Elderly Gay Couple Forcibly Separated, Abused, Robbed By County Officials in California".

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  07:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unfrigginbelievable.
Isn't it wonderful that we have government there to take care of us?
Oh, wait a minute....I mean Isn't it wonderful that we have government there to take our stuff.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  09:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

unfrigginbelievable.
Oh, wait a minute....I mean Isn't it wonderful that we have government there to take our stuff.

Hell I believe it, what's so unbelievable? Anyone paying attention to how the laws are selectively applied, shouldn't be surprised, AT ALL. All this was done with the imagined moral guidance of God. I hope California pays dearly for this. Although I won't be holding my breath for justice or for the law to be applied. Sound's like they either didn't have a lawyer or if they did, they didn't have a good aggressive lawyer. Sadly the damage is done and no recourse or outcome can change that. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  09:16:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

unfrigginbelievable.

Hell I believe it, what's so unbelievable? Anyone paying attention to how the laws are selectively applied, shouldn't be surprised, AT ALL. All this was done with the imagined moral guidance of God. I hope California pays dearly for this. Although I won't be holding my breath for justice or for the law to be applied. Sound's like they either didn't have a lawyer or if they did, they didn't have a good aggressive lawyer. Sadly the damage is done and no recourse or outcome can change that. SS

I see no evidence of this situation being guided by anyone's religious views. I think it is more of an example of an un-caring government. (is un-caring a real word?)

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Edited by - Ebone4rock on 04/20/2010 09:18:55
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  09:43:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see no evidence of this situation being guided by anyone's religious views. I think it is more of an example of an un-caring government. (is un-caring a real word?)

I disagree. An uncaring government wouldn't go through this much trouble to cause grief. This required special effort.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  09:53:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whether all this was religiously-motivated or not is irrelevant to it being an outrage. Either way, it was brutally callous treatment. Calling it "Nazi-like" would be a very small exaggeration.

(Personally, I suspect a few sly winks and nods between bureaucrats motivated by a "god-given" sense of morality is behind this tragedy of immorality. It seems to almost always require people to have a religious motivation to do such pure evil to fellow humans.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  10:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

I disagree. An uncaring government wouldn't go through this much trouble to cause grief. This required special effort.

I can see the possibility of the people involved in this horrible situation just plain not knowing what to do. It's not every day you come across homosexual octogenarians in a domestic relationship. This is the reason that I believe gay marriage should be legalized. When there is no bureaucracy to follow then terrible things like this occur. I also think it may be possible that there was just too much bureaucracy and too many people involved for this to come out right.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  10:48:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
California? Proposition 8 was most assuredly motivated by religion.

Ah, Harold fell in April, 2008. Same-sex marriage wasn't available in California until June 16, 2008 (well, after the August 12, 2004, court invalidating the previous marriages). That shoots down that hypothesis.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.