General Discussion
 Apollo 11, Man-on-the-Moon launch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  22:50:53  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is 16 mm film of the launch that sent the first men who landed on the moon, at 500 frames a second. Very cool.
The actual landing. Awesome. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  00:02:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! That is so cool!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  00:12:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that has always struck me about moon landings is that the surface looks essentially the same, close-up, or from hundreds of miles above. Hand-sized craters look just like giant ones spanning hundreds of miles. Like a landscape fractal recursion. By just looking alone, you can't get much idea how high you are.

That actually made me nervous while watching that fine HD video made from the Apollo 11 lander. I kept feeling that they were surely almost down now. Then they'd mention a radar reading of how many tens of thousands of feet of altitude they still had. I felt a great deal of relief when I saw the dust getting kicked up by the rocket exhaust.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/28/2010 00:20:23
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  08:29:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes halfmooner, I too felt that angziety before and relief upon touch down. Like we didn't know how it turned out. With the launch on my 18 th birthday and having grew up as a kid in the 50's watching scifi' movies of space travel to the moon, mars and venus. As I watched watched this I marveled at how differently the reality played out. While remembering scenes from movies of rocket travel made from years before, I am again reminded how living in realty is so much better than what anyone else can just dream up, for other to believe. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  10:36:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In some weird way, it's a shame that BigBrain isn't here. Of course, this wouldn't change his mind in any way.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.