Let's draw a picture of Mohammad!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  03:06:18  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't have to, really. People have been plastering his sacred mug all over everything since the seventh century. Here's a neat site detailing this horrid sacrilege.
Mohammed Image Archive

Depictions of Mohammed Throughout History

The Mohammed Image Archive is a compendium of images that depict Mohammed (the 7th-century founder of Islam), spanning all historical periods, cultures and genres.

The inspiration for this Archive came from the global controversy over the publication of Mohammed cartoons in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, and the need for a comprehensive and even-handed look at the wide variety of Mohammed depictions in Islamic and Western societies from the Middle Ages until today. It will remain online as a resource for those interested in freedom of expression. (Please note that the Arabic name "Mohammed" has over the years been transliterated into Western languages with several different spellings -- some of which you'll encounter on this site -- including Mahomet, Muhammad, and Mohamed.)

The images in the Mohammed Image Archive have been divided into the following categories; click on these links to view the images in each section:

Found it at PZ's.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  12:38:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it's on. Mohammed's being drawn all over the place, in many different media.

Through back channels, I was given this link, which is Greg Epstein arguing against drawing Mohammed in chalk on the ground, because it's doubly insulting to Muslims. I'm one of those people who think respect must be earned, and I have a hard time with thinking that just because something is a "deeply held belief," it should be respected more. When it's a ridiculous, superstitious belief, I think quite the opposite.

I suck at drawing worse than PZ Myers, so I'll leave this particular bit of blasphemy to others. But I fully support it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  13:22:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
I was given this link, which is Greg Epstein arguing against drawing Mohammed in chalk on the ground...
I didn't get past Epstein's first paragraph before having to roll my eyes. Look how he begins:
If I told you groups of atheist and Muslim students around the country have been breaking out boxing gloves, and the outlines of bodies have been marked in chalk on the ground, you’d worry, right? And you should, though fortunately it doesn’t mean anyone has been physically hurt yet.
His rhetorical strategy amounts to "I am using language that will lead you to believe that people are being physically hurt and even killed. You're worried now, right? Well, thankfully I'm only bullshitting you, but I want you to keep feeling worried because that emotion will help you overlook further flaws in my reasoning."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/20/2010 13:23:29
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  20:44:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just realized the absurd cluelessness of Muslims converting stick-figure Muhammads into stick-figure Muhammad Alis: Muhammad Ali is a Muslim. So they're turning an act of disrespect against their Prophet into an act of disrespect against one of their own.

Unless, of course, the ones doing the modifications of the stick figures are Shi'a.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  08:00:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cartoonist who started this has apologized again.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  08:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This whole situation seems so very similar to the "Piss Christ" scandal a few years ago.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  11:21:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like AronRa's take on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEsX9rj4w-0
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/21/2010 11:21:26
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  13:00:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How envious our Christian fundies must be! They squeal of blasphemy and nothing gets shut down. Tough titty!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  13:30:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hey! Maybe if a million people apologized for drawing Mohammad, that itself would make a point? Let's have a "I'm Sorry for Mocking Your Dead Prophet Day". Make it August 1st.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  14:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ Myers reminded me of the most odious part of Greg Epstein's whine:
There is a difference between making fun of religious or other ideas on a TV show that you can turn off, and doing it out in a public square where those likely to take offense simply can't avoid it. These chalk drawings are not a seminar on free speech; they are the atheist equivalent of the campus sidewalk preachers who used to irk me back in college. This is not even "Piss Christ," Andres Serrano's controversial 1987 photograph of a crucifix in urine. It is more like filling Dixie cups with yellow water and mini crucifixes and putting them on the ground all over town. Could you do it legally? Of course. Should you?
Mr. Epstein, those sidewalk preachers who "irked" you were engaging in two of their First Amendment rights. Doesn't matter if there were only one or two who were easy to avoid, or one on each and every street corner, they were exercising their rights, and you have no right to not be "irked." Even though many such characters are loons, and the messages they deliver tend to be obnoxious, the fact that they could be obnoxious loons out in public and not get locked up for "irking" everyone in earshot should be celebrated, not used in an attempt to shame atheists into respecting religious maniacs.

Shame on you, Mr. Epstein.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  17:02:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicely stated, Dave. Seculars will probably never be celebrated for our support of free religious expression, but we are its foremost bulwark.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.