Neandertal/Human love trysts.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  03:39:27  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone who didn't already know this also doesn't know much about human nature. We'll dip our wicks into anything we can get to hold still for it.
By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY

Modern humans, meet the relatives: Neanderthals.
It turns out, based on a new fossil analysis out Thursday, that people of European and Asian descent inherited a small amount, an average 1% to 4% of their genes, from the extinct species.

Humans and Neanderthals likely interbred 50,000 to 80,000 years ago in the Near East, concludes the international genetics team's pair of studies in the new issue of the journal Science. The research was led by German genome researcher Svante Paabo of the Max-Plank Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. The finding splits the difference in a long-running scholarly debate over whether people are solely African in origin, or spring from "multiregional" interbreeding of early human species.

I now await comments from the usual suspects.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  06:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, I have been considering this possibility for years. Once I learned that neanderthals and homosapians most likely co-existed the answer to " what happened to the neanderthals?" became very clear. They did not go extinct, they are still living today. I am probably part neanderthal.

Do you think that the humans had to get drunk first before they bred with the neanderthals? I know it always takes me until closing time to find some women attractive.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  07:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Filthy, I have been considering this possibility for years. Once I learned that neanderthals and homosapians most likely co-existed the answer to " what happened to the neanderthals?" became very clear. They did not go extinct, they are still living today. I am probably part neanderthal.

Do you think that the humans had to get drunk first before they bred with the neanderthals? I know it always takes me until closing time to find some women attractive.

When populations are thin enough, anything can look good.

I'd long thought that they'd interbred, perhaps even commonly. The question I had, which is evidently now answered, was whether or not any of the offspring were viable.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  10:57:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well 1-4% indicates it was not prolific.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  12:20:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This so explans my bushy eyebrows and sloping forehead.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  12:59:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adult Neanderthal brain size ranged from as large to larger than ours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranial_capacity

Doesn't mean they were smarter but they were likely comparable.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  20:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been for a long time a "Neandertals are not humans" guy. But I'm willing to be proved wrong. On the other hand, the issue of Neandertal-Human interbreeding, though likely, isn't quite as settled as it might appear at first glance. Jerry Coyne is a little cautious:
Does that mean that Neandertals interbred with the ancestors of modern humans? Probably! But there’s one other explanation that we can’t rule out: perhaps the “Neandertal” genes in modern non-African humans are simply genes that are very old and were present in the common ancestors of both modern humans and Neandertals. These then could have been transmitted to Neandertals and non-African humans, while the ancestors of modern Africans simply did not get a sample of those genes. (Note that this does not mean that, evolutionarily speaking, modern non-Africans are more closely related to Neandertals than to modern Africans!) The “differential sorting” scenario seems unlikely to me because it involves special pleading about a non-random distribution of genes between proto-human populations that occurred well before our lineage diverged from that of Neandertals.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  05:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The research was led by German genome researcher Svante Paabo of the Max-Plank Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology

Except Svante Pääbo is not German, but Swedish. Next thing, they'd be saying that Einstein was American, or Adolph Eichmann was Argentinian.
Meh...!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  06:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's got to be remembered that in those times, there were no central gathering places such as villages, and all Homo populations were scattered tribes. It is perfectly conceivable many of them never saw their sister species.

I'm sure this study will be ongoing and should be interesting.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  05:13:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As expected: AiG's News to Note is covering this topic, among others, giving them all their usual, full-of-shit analysis.
1. BBC News: “Neanderthal Genes ‘Survive in Us’” & National Geographic News: “Neanderthals, Humans Interbred—First Solid DNA Evidence”
A new genetic study has revealed that many modern humans have Neanderthal ancestry.

The study, published in the journal Science, compared the Neanderthal genome to the genes of five humans alive today. The comparison revealed that in some individuals, up to 4% of the total genome was of Neanderthal origin.

The scientists were led by Svante Paabo of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, who was involved in the original sequencing of the Neanderthal genome (which we reported on last October). “[Neanderthals] are not totally extinct,” Paabo said. “In some of us they live on, a little bit.”

University of Wisconsin–Madison anthropologist John Hawks added, “They’re us. We’re them.” Hawks also noted that he was “surprised” at the extent of Neanderthal contributions to the modern human genome.

Still, Washington University in St. Louis anthropologist Erik Trinkhaus claimed the study may have underrepresented the extent of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans. “One to 4 percent is truly a minimum. But is it 10 percent? Twenty percent?”*

Paabo’s team also discovered that modern African populations seem to lack Neanderthal genetic elements, while individuals from regions not typically associated with Neanderthals—China and Papua New Guinea—had Neanderthal DNA. The evolutionary scientists interpret this in light of “Out of Africa” theory, the belief that humans evolved in Africa before migrating worldwide. The team speculates that Neanderthals evolved separately from modern humans but later interbred with the humans who left Africa.

The news doesn’t surprise young-earth creationists, who predicted overlap between modern human and Neanderthal genomes. Based on Scripture, creationists consider Neanderthals to have been fully human, descendants of Adam and Eve (through Noah), and therefore they would have lived in the same time and place as other humans. But factors related to both the dispersion at Babel and environmental pressures afterward resulted in people groups with different physical characteristics, including humans with “Neanderthal” characteristics.

It's a pretty good read this week -- lots of stuff worthy of ridicule. That's good, as they've been slacking off lately and become merely tedious.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  09:30:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Utilizing sequences of the Neanderthal genome, a few scientists have reconstructed several display models depicting what they believe to be a typical Neanderthal female within her natural habitat. It is thought that Cro-Magnons likely saw Neanderthals this way and that the perception was likely mutual.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.