What did TN do to piss off god?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  06:47:35  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious why the TV preachers haven't condemned TN and Nashville for something yet. I mean, they said it was god striking down New Orleans with Katrina because of all the "sinners", they said 9/11 was "god lifting his hand of protection" off the US because NYC is a bunch of sinners....

Odd that the home of country music isn't also suffering this disaster because god is pissed at them, isn't it?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  07:22:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it's just another one of God's tantrums.

"Nobody's paying attention to me....WHAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  07:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's because Chely Wright came out of the closet.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  07:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just guessing, of course, but could it be that preachers like Pat Robertson have discovered that they simply piss off their Bible Belt supporters when they blame them for natural disasters? Maybe these doomsayers have decided to restrict their condemnations to far-away foreign places like Haiti, Europe and San Francisco, where they have few paying followers to irritate.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  10:13:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where have you guys been living, they will just blame America's 'faults' for the punishment. It doesnt have to be TNs fault.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  11:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't piss off your demographic :)

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  12:57:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Intrigued by the question, and knowing that that particular god is always pissy about something, I looked around a bit. I came up with some interesting results:
Our Guns Are Way More Important Than Your Disasters:

While a good chunk of Nashville, which, in addition to being Music City, is also the capital of Tennessee, was underwater this week, the legislature kept at its job of making the Volunteer State safer for drunks. Yes, as residents of middle Tennessee were driving boats around the streets of their neighborhoods, wondering how much FEMA was gonna come through for the many homeowners without flood insurance, the state House passed a bill that had been previously passed by the Senate, both by veto-proof majorities, which allows people with carry permits to bring their guns into anywhere that lets you drink, and "That includes restaurants, nightclubs, honky-tonks, country clubs and any other place with an alcohol license, including places such as the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga." Honky-tonks and aquariums? Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker, indeed.

But they still can't pack heat in the churchs, and God loves him some deadly violence in-his-name so much that he's decided to drown the whole shitaree -- where have we heard that before?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  16:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe God wanted to wash away the creation museum and due to continental drift missed by one state. I can almost hear Him, say in His best booming voice "God damn it, I missed". SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  16:01:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

I'm just curious why the TV preachers haven't condemned TN and Nashville for something yet. I mean, they said it was god striking down New Orleans with Katrina because of all the "sinners", they said 9/11 was "god lifting his hand of protection" off the US because NYC is a bunch of sinners....

Odd that the home of country music isn't also suffering this disaster because god is pissed at them, isn't it?

Because quite a few of the far right fundies are from around Nashville. Can't say that it's because God is pissed at them for telling lies about his son...... or somethin......

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  19:58:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Maybe God wanted to wash away the creation museum and due to continental drift missed by one state. I can almost hear Him, say in His best booming voice "God damn it, I missed". SS

Actually, that would be, "Me damn it, I missed". I doubt that God would refer to himself in the third person, ala Bob Dole.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Edited by - podcat on 05/11/2010 20:00:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.