Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks attacked in Uppsala
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  22:42:36  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hat tip to PZ Myers for this:
Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks, who sparked controversy by drawing Prophet Mohammed with the body of a dog, was on Tuesday attacked while giving a lecture at a university, police said.

"The man was sat in the first row and suddenly he rushed at me. He punched me in the head and I lost my glasses," said Vilks, adding that at the very most he was "a little bruised".

Police said around 250 people were present at the time of the attack at the university of Uppsala, north of the Stockholm.
Here's the video of the scuffle. It's nasty. The Islamist mob came for a fight, and some even brought their small children.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/11/2010 22:54:48

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  05:16:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Allah Akbar!" "Allah Akbar!" But due to his inability to act in his own defense and\or his lack of stones we are obligated to defend "Allah and his puppet".

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  12:42:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why don't the religious whackos of all stripes realise that this is very easy to resolve? If your god is omnipotent and omniscient then he/she/it should not need you to defend them. So you let the blasphemer(s) rant and rave all they like, and just sit back and wait for the lightning bolts. Give it about ten minutes and if nothing happens then I guess your god doesn't really give a shit, so why should you?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  06:45:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat
If your god is omnipotent and omniscient then he/she/it should not need you to defend them.

I discussed this with a coworker who comes from a devout but liberal muslim family. His take on reactions toward people who mocks Muhammed is this:
Muhammed is not God, but only human. A prophet, being the best and greatest a man can be without being or becoming divine. As such, his statue is the goal for all muslims.
By mocking Muhammed, we are mocking the ideal that every muslim strive to become. If we were mocking Allah, then we're messing with someone who can defend himself. But Muhammed can't defend himself. Also, if we mock and attack Mohammed, we are also attacking livings muslims by proxy, by attacking their ideal.

I understand his reasoning, and it makes sense. At least partly, and for many muslims.
Then he said there are fundies that are insane and fucked up, and they just use the religion because it gives them respectability, and giving them an alibi for being misogynistic, power-tripping bigots.
I wish all muslims were as reasonable, freethinking, and liberal as he is. I have three muslims in my department at work (that I know of), and they are all cool.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/13/2010 06:55:41
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  06:53:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
It's nasty. The Islamist mob came for a fight, and some even brought their small children.

A few got peppered, and at least one police wielded a baton (but I didn't notice him using it, I wasn't focussing on him).

The thing is, outside, there were some 40-ish demonstrators holding a peaceful rally against Lars Vilks or the University for inviting him. The University had invited the Polish artist who got persecuted for blasphemy for her art in Poland.

So those muslims at the lecture who turned violent, they knew that they were going to be offended, long before stepping into the room. Their sole purpose for being there must have been to assault Lars Vilks. Which means that whatever dose of pepperspray they got in the face was well deserved.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  09:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

If we were mocking Allah, then we're messing with someone who can defend himself. But Muhammed can't defend himself.
So Allah is indifferent to the mocking of his puppet?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant to ask him about it, but we got interrupted, and later I forgot to ask.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  11:32:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Muslims and other religious idiots need to get over it. Free speech can't be violated for fear of offending anyone.

There is a reason why western culture is superior (yes, superior) to some, and it hinges on the right to speak your mind freely without fear of repercussion.

Besides, in any honest evaluation, if your religion can't stand up to criticism and ridicule... then your beliefs are not very well grounded.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  12:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would argue with Mab's rather reasonable Muslim coworker on the basis of consequences. If any man is put off-limits for criticism or mockery becuase it tends to denigrate his followers, the same logic could be applied to many other figures.

For instance, I could claim that Charles Darwin, as the greatest and most revolutionary of all scientists, should be immune from mockery or criticism, because all scientists are mocked when he is.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  20:58:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
For instance, I could claim that Charles Darwin, as the greatest and most revolutionary of all scientists, should be immune from mockery or criticism, because all scientists are mocked when he is.

I agree, and that's why I think that such line of reasoning is wrong. But aparently, that's how their minds work. Edited to add: Except for the double standard, of course.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/14/2010 06:48:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.