Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  20:42:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
No, the "other option" is solipsism, which is the null hypothesis. We have rejected it based on observation and logic, not merely by making assumptions that are more utilitarian.

But weren't the assumptions themselves the ones that allowed observation and logic to have validity?

We have to assume that the scientific method works, and that induction is valid. Those assumptions are independent of whether or not there is an external reality. An internally consistent fever dream could include reams of "data" on "evolution" even though neither may be real.

Why must we assume this? How can we even expect consistency with the assumptions about reality we made up?

I think we all agree that the distinction is not particularly important in a practical sense, not that that was really anyone's intention. The refutation of external reality does not seem to do anything in how we proceed forward. We can call it a figment of our unconscious imagination or "real" external reality, either way we're in the same situation. We cannot know unequivocally if empiricism is valid in either case, we cannot know if there are independent agents, etc. I agree with Dave in that it becomes a matter of our inability to know if there is a meta-reality, or a meta-meta-reality, or what have you, by using the tools we have that can exclusively be used within the reality (or unconsciously imaginary system) we perceive.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 05/19/2010 20:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  21:47:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

But weren't the assumptions themselves the ones that allowed observation and logic to have validity?
No. Our senses detect something, but whether that something is an external reality or not is the question being tested, not an assumption. Our observations are merely of what our "senses" report to our "minds" (the quotes indicating that we're not assuming that we even have brains or nerves).

And logic is definitional. We need not have any senses at all to be able to construct logic. Whether or not the simple logic we tend to use here is valid or not is entirely independent of the existence (or non-existence) of any sort of external reality. Logic is a pure abstraction.
We have to assume that the scientific method works, and that induction is valid. Those assumptions are independent of whether or not there is an external reality. An internally consistent fever dream could include reams of "data" on "evolution" even though neither may be real.

Why must we assume this? How can we even expect consistency with the assumptions about reality we made up?
We have to assume it because induction cannot prove itself, and empirical science is based on induction.
I think we all agree that the distinction is not particularly important in a practical sense, not that that was really anyone's intention. The refutation of external reality does not seem to do anything in how we proceed forward. We can call it a figment of our unconscious imagination or "real" external reality, either way we're in the same situation. We cannot know unequivocally if empiricism is valid in either case, we cannot know if there are independent agents, etc. I agree with Dave in that it becomes a matter of our inability to know if there is a meta-reality, or a meta-meta-reality, or what have you, by using the tools we have that can exclusively be used within the reality (or unconsciously imaginary system) we perceive.
Right. Dude asked for a purely deductive proof of an objective reality. That's out of the question, just like all purely deductive proofs of scientific theories are impossible. Then Dude asked for positive empirical evidence of an objective reality, which is like asking for evidence that a 500x microscope is truly a 500x microscope using no tools other than the 500x microscope being tested.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  07:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And logic is definitional. We need not have any senses at all to be able to construct logic.

We would need a mind, though. Can you be sure that you have one (with or without quotes)?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  07:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

We would need a mind, though. Can you be sure that you have one (with or without quotes)?
As a mind, I would have to say that that's the only thing I'm truly sure of. How could it be otherwise?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  08:01:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As a mind, I would have to say that that's the only thing I'm truly sure of. How could it be otherwise?
How do you know that your experience of reading my post is not simply a random thought floating through somewhere? How do you know that when think back on past experiences that this was not created by a random thought drifting about? How do you know that the chronological coherence of your experiences are not simply created by a single random thought?

Ah, philosophy...

(Please substitute thought for something else if you think that we necessarily need minds to experience anything)

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  09:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How do you know that your experience of reading my post is not simply a random thought floating through somewhere? How do you know that when think back on past experiences that this was not created by a random thought drifting about? How do you know that the chronological coherence of your experiences are not simply created by a single random thought?
Those questions are irrelevant. It doesn't matter how experiences happen or whether thoughts are random, singly or otherwise. I experience consciousness regardless of that experience's construction, coherency or medium. This is why solipsism is the default position. I know that "I" exist through the mere experience of being conscious, but can't prove that anyone or anything else exists or is aware.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  18:01:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Though Ive never met anyone who actually believes this, It takes self-centered to a whole new literal and figurative extreme, to those who would argue it, "What am I, chopped liver?"

I met that someone in high school. Odd fellow. And odder still that he refused to sign or write anything in anybody's yearbooks for fear of it coming back at him negatively in the future.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.