The Invasion Continues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  18:13:34  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20005458-38.html

Key Quotes:

By a 357 to 32 vote, the House approved legislation that will pay state governments to require DNA samples, which could mean drawing blood with a needle, from adults "arrested for" certain serious crimes. Not one Democrat voted against the database measure, which would hand out about $75 million to states that agree to make such testing mandatory.

But civil libertarians say DNA samples should be required only from people who have been convicted of crimes, and argue that if there is probable cause to believe that someone is involved in a crime, a judge can sign a warrant allowing a blood sample or cheek swab to be forcibly extracted.

How can this possibly not violate the 4th ammendment?

And of course ram it through without debate. Is there nothing the dems will not do?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic leadership scheduled Tuesday's debate on the bill--called the Katie Sepich Enhanced DNA Collection Act of 2010--using a procedure known as the "suspension calendar" intended to be reserved for non-controversial legislation.

"Suspension of the rules is supposed to be for praising the winner of the NCAA championship or renaming Post Offices," Harper says. "Things like collecting Americans' DNA are supposed to be fully debated in Congress."

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  18:18:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course ram it through without debate. Is there nothing the dems will not do?

Yes. They won't stand around, wave flags, and call it good.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  18:20:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

Yes. They won't stand around, wave flags, and call it good.

@

You don't think debate would have been called for on this? Taking DNA without a court order.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  21:57:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
357 yes votes.

Yet you specifically blame democrats.

I didn't know there were 357 democrats in the House of Reps.

Also interesting is your use of the phrase "ram it through". As if using your majority power to pass legislation was something republicans never did when they were the majority.

TURN YOUR TV OFF FOX"NEWS"!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  22:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

357 yes votes.

Okay, let's blame a majority subset of the House (including all Democrats). One of the things I like(d) about Democrats controlling Congress was that I expected them to not allow overzealous criminal justice laws go through, something I (once) attributed more to Republicans.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  22:46:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

357 yes votes.

Okay, let's blame a majority subset of the House (including all Democrats). One of the things I like(d) about Democrats controlling Congress was that I expected them to not allow overzealous criminal justice laws go through, something I (once) attributed more to Republicans.

Only 37 no votes, so this seems like a fairly bipartisan turd. I'm reasonably confident that you understood my intent, which was to gently slap Robb for blaming dems for a things most of the house rethugs also voted for.

If it passes the senate, I think it is doomed to fail it's first court challenge.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  08:51:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the courts do strike this down (if it becomes law), will they be labeled as "activist"?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  01:38:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only 37 no votes, so this seems like a fairly bipartisan turd. I'm reasonably confident that you understood my intent, which was to gently slap Robb for blaming dems for a things most of the house rethugs also voted for.

If it passes the senate, I think it is doomed to fail it's first court challenge.

It's just that I'm surprised Democrats voted for it at a higher rate than Republicans. I would expect it from Republicans. By all means, don't just blame Democrats.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 05/23/2010 02:08:37
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  21:55:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm ambivalent about this issue. DNA is a most excellent source of authentication, yet it can (and probably will) be abused.
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/23/2010 21:56:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.