Religion
 A "Christian" rape apologist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  15:44:31  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's being torn apart here.

An atheist blogger has his mind so blown by that, that he made a special post about it.

Guess what? The xian ("Censored One") in the second comment says that basically he was cut off or something and was made to "look like a jerk".

Even in the context he provides, he doesn't come across any better.

This is how he ends that comment:

You also must remember that God never gives us more of a trial than we can handle. If you have been raped and feel traumatized by it take comfort that God has not abandoned you and that He knows you can get through this.

I’m praying for you all.

Sounds pretty xian, huh? Read that after you've read the rest of his little comment.

Anyone wonder if all the bible talk about women being taken as property (in the OT in Samuel, etc) and being made to be "one flesh" in god's eyes in marriage has had an effect on this guy's thinking?

In other words, how much of a distortion of Christianity's teachings are we seeing here?

Edit: PZ Myers and co. have twigged on to that guy where he originally posted on that atheist blog.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 05/25/2010 17:11:20

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  19:05:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This quote is from the second link in the OP.
"It’s people like you who give intelligent, moral Christians a bad name."

Whoaa
Now that's delusional. From a delusional christian who blames others for their logistical fuck ups. Christians never needs jerks to make them look bad, they do quite well without any help. Like they never let anyone forget, they get all the realty they'll ever need from the bible. Give me a break. WTF, where are the 'intelligent, moral Christians'???? Surly that poster see's the Pope and his bishops in the same light, giving 'intelligent, moral Christians a bad name'. Like God, that's a delusion held by arrogant self righteous pathetic fools. I make no claim to being superior, just less delusional when making claims of superiority on moral matters via baptism and while ignoring the contradictions in the bible, their moral convoluted cryptic guide. "It’s people like you who give intelligent, moral Christians a bad name." Leave out the "...like you..." part. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  22:19:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In response to the comments on rape not being as bad as abortion ("murder"):

This touches on something I've been thinking about for a while now. If I knew there was a facility that scheduled the killing of babies (outside the womb) for no other reason than they were not wanted, then I don't think I could live with myself unless I did everything possible, legal or not, to stop it.

Of course I don't think abortion is murder, especially in the early stages of fetal development and especially in the case where the mother's life is in danger. But under the assumption that a fetus is just as human as any child, I don't understand how those who believe abortion is murder don't take a much more hostile, aggressive, and violent stance toward it. Of course I thank God that they don't, but I still don't understand it.

Under this view, I can understand where this guy is coming from. I'll disagree with his premise to the bitter end, but under the assumption of that premise, his stance makes more sense to me than the people who say, "Abortion is murder, but I respect the rights of other people granted by law to murder their babies."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  13:28:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

In response to the comments on rape not being as bad as abortion ("murder"):

This touches on something I've been thinking about for a while now. If I knew there was a facility that scheduled the killing of babies (outside the womb) for no other reason than they were not wanted, then I don't think I could live with myself unless I did everything possible, legal or not, to stop it.

Of course I don't think abortion is murder, especially in the early stages of fetal development and especially in the case where the mother's life is in danger. But under the assumption that a fetus is just as human as any child, I don't understand how those who believe abortion is murder don't take a much more hostile, aggressive, and violent stance toward it. Of course I thank God that they don't, but I still don't understand it.

Under this view, I can understand where this guy is coming from. I'll disagree with his premise to the bitter end, but under the assumption of that premise, his stance makes more sense to me than the people who say, "Abortion is murder, but I respect the rights of other people granted by law to murder their babies."

Which is why I think MOST people do not literally think that. I think most believe it (the fetus) has the POTENTIAL to be a unique human life......big difference.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  05:57:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it seems that Vox Day is in on some of that rape apologist action...

And, after a typical rant, he does what so many of those assholes do...he asks why us "moral relativists" should find it wrong in the first place!

I'm just curious what basis the moral relativists have for condemning rape in the first place. If I deem the slaking of my desire for lust - or violence, if you prefer that theory of rape - to be an intrinsic good, who are you to condemn it? Certainly, one could argue that it is a violation of private property rights, but then, what of those moral relativists who reject the notion of private property. If all property is held in common, then how can a woman object if I decide to make use of that which belongs to me?

Don't those idiots realize that they're really showing us just how low their morals really are when they say shit like that? After all, if the only reason that they'll accept for something being "wrong" is their bloody "god", then what would happen if they no longer believed in god?

I believe that Ray Comfort does that as well sometimes.

At least us "moral relativists" have such deterrents as: looking at things from the victims view (pain and suffering of the victim -- physical and psychological harm), personal and societal consequences, would we want such a thing to be done to us, etc.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 08/08/2010 06:13:32
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  22:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored
Don't those idiots realize that they're really showing us just how low their morals really are when they say shit like that? After all, if the only reason that they'll accept for something being "wrong" is their bloody "god", then what would happen if they no longer believed in god?

I don't think they understand that there can exist a sort of morality independent of their god. We say look from the victims view and social consequences, and they respond, "why should I care about victims and society if I don't have a god?"

I can grant them that our morality (whatever the most influential relativists share) is arbitrary, without any ultimate basis, and perhaps even as tyrannical as their own (don't follow the rules and we'll remove you from society by force). This uncertainty is all I can honestly offer. The only justification I have is that, well, I want to have some set of rules on society that appeal to my sense of justice and enough people wanting these rules can force them on the rest of society.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  06:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that Churches are like hospitals for the soul, they full of very sick people.

My parents brought me to a church when I was just born, before I had a fully developed defense system. Being very vulnerable, I got infected and it took a long time before I recovered. I am among the lucky ones. Many suffer chronically their whole life. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.