General Discussion
 Sinkhole from (or is it, TO?) Hell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:14:49  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Get a load of this sinkhole.

Sweet barmy christ, that's bad.

Even worse...get a load of the original picture.

Again, as is currently usual for my posts, from PZ Myers.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  13:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  15:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Egads! What can this mean? China's secrete invasion tunnel, exposed by rain? Hollow Earth'ers now have proof for all to see? SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:21:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much for those Hollow Earth deniers!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  18:21:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see a comment over at PZs which is the first thing I thought of when I saw this picture. Did anyone see the Silver Surfer nearby? That's incredible.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  14:20:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh oh! It not a sink hole. Here is an article that goes in to why they say it's not a sink hole.

The giant sinkhole that opened beneath downtown Guatemala City over the weekend is all the rage right now. There's just one problem: it isn't a sinkhole.

"Sure, it looks a lot like a sinkhole," geologist Sam Bonis told Discovery News from his home in Guatemala. "And a whale looks a lot like a fish, but calling it one would be very misleading."

Instead, Bonis prefers the term "piping feature" -- a decidedly less sexy label for the 100-foot deep, 66-foot wide circular chasm. But it's an important distinction, he maintains, because "sinkholes" refer to areas where bedrock is solid but has been eaten away by groundwater, forming a geological Swiss cheese whose contours are nearly impossible to predict.

The situation beneath the country's capital is far different, and more dangerous. The lion's share of the city is built on pumice fill -- ash flows made up of loose, gravel-like particles deposited during ancient volcanic eruptions. In places, the debris is piled over 600 feet thick, filling up what would otherwise be a v-shaped valley of faulted bedrock. For those peering into the deep dark depths wondering what might be at the bottom, it's either more pumice fill or bedrock. Mixed with a healthy dose of wreckage from the swallowed-up clothing factory.

In 2007, a similar hole opened after a sewage pipe broke pipe just a few blocks from this weekend's disaster. Bonis was part of a team of geologists and engineers brought in to investigate and advise officials on what went wrong.

"Our recommendation was that this could happen again," he recalled. "When you have water flowing from storm water runoff, a sewage pipe, or any kind of strong flow, it eats away at the loose material. We don't know how long it has to go on before it collapses. But once it starts collapsing, God help us."

I cut a few paragraphs out, so here it is in full.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  19:57:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting geological details, sailingsoul. Still, next time the earth opens up beneath my feet, I'm going to curse that void as a "stinking sinkhole" as I'm falling.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.