Environmental Concerns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  11:20:35  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that I am very passionate about is the environment. I don't really get involved in the pop-culture side of it. (I hate little catch phrases like "carbon footprint" and the idea of purchasing those stupid "carbon credits")I just have kind of always lived my life as environmentally friendly as possible. One big project that my family and I tackle every year is a tree planting weekend. We plant anywhere between 3000-5000 trees every spring. To combat climate change I prefer to actually physically do something rather than just talk about it.

I truly believe (and I don't "believe" in much) that every individual has the power to make a difference. Simple things like recycling are very important to me. The problem is that I have a difficult time encouraging others to recycle. I try not to be preachy about it and have gone as far as setting up easy to use recycling receptacles at work which hardly anyone uses. No matter how gently I try to approach the subject I get smart comments and people looking at me as if I am some sort of hippy freak.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can better encourage people to recycle without being annoying? Anyone have comments about the subject or stories to share?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  11:33:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's better to cut back on how much we use rather than just using things in excess and then recycling them, the mindset seems to be that we can all use whatever we like if we recycle, because the simple act of recycling actually improves the environment.

At best recycling damages the environment to a lesser extent than using raw materials.

The best thing you can possibly do is to use less, make sacrifices and cut down on excesses and luxuries. Recycle only when it is appropriate to do so. Some things are not beneficial economically or environmentally to recycle.

I am also of the belief that the greatest threat to the environment is overpopulation, and the greatest way we can save the environment is to reduce the human population significantly. If you recycle, ride your bike to work, drive a hybrid, whatever, but you have 5 kids, then you are part of the problem IMO.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 06/10/2010 11:51:59
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  12:07:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I think it's better to cut back on how much we use rather than just using things in excess and then recycling them, the mindset seems to be that we can all use whatever we like if we recycle, because the simple act of recycling actually improves the environment.

At best recycling damages the environment to a lesser extent than using raw materials.

The best thing you can possibly do is to use less, make sacrifices and cut down on excesses and luxuries. Recycle only when it is appropriate to do so. Some things are not beneficial economically or environmentally to recycle.

I am also of the belief that the greatest threat to the environment is overpopulation, and the greatest way we can save the environment is to reduce the human population significantly. If you recycle, ride your bike to work, drive a hybrid, whatever, but you have 5 kids, then you are part of the problem IMO.

I agree wholeheartedly. I run into problems even at home with trying to reduce plastic bottle consumption. My wife consumes 1-2 cases of bottled water per week. I have been trying for sooooooo many years to get her off bottled water to no avail. I don't know what to do other than to start a fight about it.

I find your comment about overpopulation to be quite humorous. My wife and I are only a couple of years away from 40 but we still get the " When are you two ever going to have kids?!?!?" questions every time we see family. Over Memorial Day weekend my aunts ganged up on my wife and I with the big inquisition. My cousin (who has four kids) stepped uo and said " Leave them alone, the species is in no danger of extinction!"

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:38:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recycle at home and at work.
I've just installed an Ethanol coversion kit in my car. I've had it collecting dust for a year on my desk because I couldn't find the right type of contact to install it into my car. This weekend I'll fill up the tank entirely with E85 (I've mixed 50/50 before, gasoline and ethanol, with no problem even before installing the kit).

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:54:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Huh. Most of the christians that I know/heard of/dealt with on various forums say that overpopulation is a myth like man-made climate change, evolution, etc.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  23:50:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I agree wholeheartedly. I run into problems even at home with trying to reduce plastic bottle consumption. My wife consumes 1-2 cases of bottled water per week. I have been trying for sooooooo many years to get her off bottled water to no avail. I don't know what to do other than to start a fight about it.

Did she see the stuff at the Story of Stuff website?
http://storyofstuff.org/bottledwater/

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  07:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored
Huh. Most of the christians that I know/heard of/dealt with on various forums say that overpopulation is a myth like man-made climate change, evolution, etc.

Random observations can cause erroneous conclusions due to conformation bias and other factors. Even with a rate of 99% that one percent still exists. One should ever be surprised to see it. Especially after it is known to exist.
I thought how some Theist espouse to "go forth and reproduce" in following their belief it's god's will. Then thought he may not believe that. I don't think any two people, in any religion, think in lock step when questioned. So I took his post to be his belief and not a contradiction.

On fire for Christ makes an excellent point. An astute reply indeed. He voiced a strategy that gets no mention by any green marketer when selling their products. That being "use less"! It is one that will keep cash in your pocket. Which can equate to a pay raise because you have more to spend elsewhere or save. Not really? When considered over the course of 12 months, I would think Ebone4rock's wife spends a few hundred dollars a year. In his post he states "1-2 cases of bottled water per week". Ebone how much do you pay for a case? Five bucks? At $5 just one case a week comes to $260 plus income and sales taxes, where applicable. I went to TAM 7 last year, I also visited with friends who live there. That household bought bottled water a lot. After I had a few, I marked and refilled the empties with tap water and put them in the refrigerator for my use while I stayed there. They thought I was nuts. When I think about the energy needed to make the bottles and fuel involved in transportation and the material for the bottle and co$t$, I think they're nuts. I find it crazy that they think by they're being green by meticulously insuring that every single bottle ends up in the recycle bin and not in the trash. It's delusional I think, considering it's a marketing driven need and an absolutely complete waste, given the alternatives. This type of thinking is like a fat person having that "hot apple pie" because the got a "diet coke" with their order. I didn't discuss it with them, I simply asked if they didn't mind if I did that and did it. When any consumable is relatively cheap, waste is inevitable. That is true with anything, whether it's water or human life. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  16:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overpopulation IS a big problem., ecologically and socially. I donīt know why only few people seem to be aware of that. The environment, prisons, cities, jobs, all suffer drom it.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  22:21:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recycling is helpful, but the other R's are more important:

Reduce
Reuse
Restore

And yes there is increasing loss of natural habitat due to human over population. Tube tying and vasectomies on demand and paid with tax dollars, ja!
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 06/12/2010 22:22:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.