Power Balance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  11:11:53  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran into this Power Balance scam about a year ago.[url]
*edited to remove link, I don't want to look like I'm promoting it
I knew immediately that it was a load of BS but I never had the opportunity to try it. Just a little while ago this kid here at work was demonstrating his Power Balance bracelet. Whatever trick this kid was doing sure made it appear to work. I even tried it, it seemed to work but I still know it is a load of crap.

So is it psychological or is it a carnival trick?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

Edited by - Ebone4rock on 06/17/2010 11:27:11

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  11:28:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What trick, I went to the link and have no idea what it's supposed to dd, could you elaborate? How was it demonstrated?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  11:31:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I saw the phrase "energy flow" my skeptic bump started itching. When I saw "The hologram in Power Balance is designed to resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body." I am convinced. Until proved to me otherwise, I am treating this as bunk. I would love to know by what physical mechanism does a hologram help with "energy flow".

Oddly the demo video is not up when I visited the site so I may be lacking information.

I did however find this:
http://rainbowofchaos.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/the-skeptic-versus-the-power-balance-bracelet/

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  11:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

What trick, I went to the link and have no idea what it's supposed to dd, could you elaborate? How was it demonstrated?

When I get home tonight I'll post a youtube link with the demonstration.

What it is is either a bracelet or credit card size card with a hologram image embedded in it. There are a number of ways to demonstrate it. The two ways I was just showed were to either have a person stand on one foot with an arm extended without the bracelet on, push the persons arm...they fall off balance...then do the same thing with the bracelet on and they are apparently able to keep from falling over. The other way is very similar but with the hands behind the back and both feet on the floor.

The supposed "science" behind it is that the hologram emits a frequency that gives you more power and better balance.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  15:43:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a demonstration. I picked this one because a bunch of my favorite pro surfers are in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJBP6L9y1p8&feature=channel

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  17:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Little as I believe in them, I'd give a magnetic bracelet far more probability of doing something than a mere optical gimmick like a hologram on a bracelet. Not a word of the short explanation at the site explains anything:
What is Power Balance?

Power Balance is Performance Technology designed to work with your body’s natural energy field. Founded by athletes, Power Balance is a favorite among elite athletes for whom balance, strength and flexibility are important.

How Does the Hologram Work?

Power Balance is based on the idea of optimizing the body’s natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies. The hologram in Power Balance is designed to resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body.
It's exactly equivalent to saying "The magic jim-jam will balance your jum-jum."

Oddly, the promoters actually promise nothing of substance, also. I mean, is the hologram "resonating" with and "responding" to the "natural energy field" a good thing, or a bad thing? Is it just me, or could this thing possibly create nano-portals allowing the escape of quantum demons?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  17:32:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Here is a link to a demonstration. I picked this one because a bunch of my favorite pro surfers are in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJBP6L9y1p8&feature=channel
Hahahahahhaha...

Applied kinesiology, the method they are using in the video to show increased power, is a pseudo science. What they are doing is a trick! I know the trick!!!

And hey, I'm an old surfer too...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  03:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links Kil. I am going to print them and share them.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  08:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here I am demonstrating the trick that was just used on me to some people selling some product at a Mind Body Spirit Expo:

After pulling the guys arm down using only one finger, and with him not holding the object that was supposed to make him weaker, the lady at the table called me an "energy sucker!" She was pissed because I had busted them. The guy is smiling in the picture, thinking that I couldn't do it, I suppose. But a moment later he lost his smile because his arm was down at his side. Sorry that I don't have that picture!

And just so you know, in case you run into someone using this test to sell a product, I'll tell you how it's done.

Have your victim extend an arm and tell them to resist the pressure you will be putting on it. Just push down and they will easily be able to resist your pushing. (You don't need to push down hard. You are just demonstrating their ability to resist some downward pressure.) Now, tell them to hold their arm out again. Same test. Only this time when they start pushing back, allow the arm to rise slightly while your hand is still on the outstretched arm and then lightly push down. If you get good at this they will not notice that you released the downward pressure for a moment. What this does is to relax a muscle group that is keeping the arm in place. The arm will drop as though you somehow magically caused them to have less strength than they had just a few moments ago. Sometimes it's fun to hand them their own product before pushing their arm down. You know. The one that's supposed to make them stronger...

I have done this to some very strong people. It doesn't matter. It takes a bit of practice so that the upward movement is too subtle for them to notice that you have done anything different than what you did in the first test.

Needless to say, if you do not know what the demonstrator is doing, the test can be very convincing.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  08:19:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Print a few extra copies because before you know it, it will be around again. Like a weed or another (new?) show on TV about the loch ness monster or predictions of Nostradamus. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  18:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, Kil!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  06:48:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Excellent, Kil!

I feel so honored that my thread made the front of the Facebook page. Thank you Kil for the beautiful award.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.