Teh Thors, They Hatez Teh Purgez
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  19:48:15  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This could've been posted in features, but I really think it's a problem. Inactive topics are purged way too soon, in my humbolt penguin.

Several times I have gone back to the SFN forums to look up a reference/link yet I find the topic vaporized. Bah!

I would think that keeping topics longer would help attract more traffic of SFN. Unless there is a good reason, please don't delete topics/posts, eh?

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  20:38:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the bottom of each folder, in the bold blue line, you can set how old the topics to be displayed are. It's probably set to show only the last 30 days. You can set it for longer, or to show all.

As far as I know this forum doesn't delete, ever, unless it's a spammer driveby.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  20:40:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, at the top right side of each folder, just above the bold blue line, you can set how far back to display.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  21:50:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The search box which has been recently integrated at the top of the site is also a nice way to find posts.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  22:21:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Inactive topics are purged way too soon...
Inactive topics are never "purged." Never have been, never will be.

And since we haven't even archived topics in a long, long time, I'm sure that Dude has the right solution.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  07:52:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he's referring to active threads falling off the "Home Page" listing of active threads. Like now, There are 7 threads listed on the right side of the HP. Topics are placed on top after a new reply is made. When the column gets to long, they fall off. When that happens you have to go and try to find it. Right now, any topic that was last replied to before yesterday 6/20 is not listed or appears "purged". I think that's what thor is referring to

Some other forums software will list all the threads that were active since your last sign in, when you sign in. I don't see that happening here. Which causes good threads to die quicker, if your gone a few days during active periods.

I too have had trouble finding a thread that has been dropped from the HP, even when I changed the 30 day limiter and given up. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  09:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Some other forums software will list all the threads that were active since your last sign in, when you sign in. I don't see that happening here.
That functionality is available on Active Topics.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  10:15:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sir, I will use it. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  01:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The functionality of SFN's Active Topics is way better than any incarnation that Skepticality ever had. Unfortunately.
Snitz Forums really kicks ass, even though it's written in .asp
And of course: Many and Great thanks to Dave_W. our resident editor/forum code wizard (and @tomic, our godfather)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  14:14:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This problem is in reference to trying to post a reply on "moonscape news" today.

Somethings up with the software or whatever!
Kil FYI,,,I'm using firefox and I have been trying to post the two replies on "moonscapes news", as one message and it would not post. I also couldn't even view them with "preview reply", before posting. I tried other threads and could post this, "test message", they posted. So I tried to post the first part and it posted. Then I tried to edit it with the second half and it wouldn't post. It sits there trying for minutes,until I stopped it. I was able to post a reply only if it was cut in half and posted as smaller files. It might be firefox as they make up dates like every week and that can cause trouble from time to time. I also don't know if your getting other reports.Cheers SS

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  17:14:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

This problem is in reference to trying to post a reply on "moonscape news" today.

Somethings up with the software or whatever!
Kil FYI,,,I'm using firefox and I have been trying to post the two replies on "moonscapes news", as one message and it would not post. I also couldn't even view them with "preview reply", before posting. I tried other threads and could post this, "test message", they posted. So I tried to post the first part and it posted. Then I tried to edit it with the second half and it wouldn't post. It sits there trying for minutes,until I stopped it. I was able to post a reply only if it was cut in half and posted as smaller files. It might be firefox as they make up dates like every week and that can cause trouble from time to time. I also don't know if your getting other reports.Cheers SS

It's not Firefox. We are aware of the problem.

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13238

One way to post is to locate the word in your post that is causing the problem. You can do that by copying your post to word or some other program and then bring it back line by line. (Actually, you can start the way you did, with a big section to see if the problem is there.) Each time you do that, check preview. If you don't get a blank screen, continue. Once you get to a sentence that will not post, (blank screen in preview) post the sentence word by word. Keep hitting preview. When you get to the word that is messing up your post, go through it letter by letter, again, hitting preview. When you get a blank screen, back up one letter and add an empty forum tag between the letters. (You know. Those brackets that you use to quote with.) After that, your comment should post.

And yes, it's a big hassle. And I apologies. This problem has been going on for far too long, even though you have just discovered it.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  19:00:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, thanks Kil for the feed back. I had this happen only a few times over some months. This might have been the 3rd time. Problems that are real bears are sometimes resolved when the right piece of info is had or given to who ever is trying to fix it. It might be of value to note I didn't use any brackets to get it to load. I just broke it up the two paragraphs I wrote, because that was about half and I was thinking file size having something to do with it. Your saying not.

So your thinking the problem is one character in the second half but not necessarily one the first line? But that half loaded! I wonder what would happen if when you isolate the offending line, if you just re typed that line? I'm not looking for a reply . Just thinking out loud, like. Good luck with that. SS

Go to Top of Page

test

1 Post

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  19:06:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send test a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Testing: update table select insert function
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.