Climate Change Is Necessary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  11:49:39  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been doing some philosophizing and think I may have stumbled upon something.

See if I am making any sense here.

When viruses infect the human body the temperature of the body rises in order to rid itself of the unwanted viruses. One of the functions of the Earth is much like that of the human body which is to protect itself from things that are dangerous to it's health. The rise in the Earth's temperature is acting just like a fever would in the human body......only WE are the viruses!

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that I am a musician, not a scientist.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  12:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very Gaia.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  13:05:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Very Gaia.

Very interesting read. Thank You.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  21:04:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I've been doing some philosophizing and think I may have stumbled upon something.

See if I am making any sense here.

When viruses infect the human body the temperature of the body rises in order to rid itself of the unwanted viruses. One of the functions of the Earth is much like that of the human body which is to protect itself from things that are dangerous to it's health. The rise in the Earth's temperature is acting just like a fever would in the human body......only WE are the viruses!

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that I am a musician, not a scientist.

Interesting, but I would term it inevatable rather than a stimulus reaction. The earth proceeds in its orbit from an oval to a near circle. (once every 100,000 years if memory serves) This causes most of the climatic changes. A mitigating factor is the current minimum that Sol is going through. Some scientists suggest that it could be a recursion of a Maunder-type minimum.

Biology major friends of mine posited that since there were more and more anti-biotic resistant strains of diseases, that ol' Mother Earth was attempting to rid itself of the infestation of parasites known as the human race.

The fatal flaw in your reasoning is that all life is included in the "purge" process you suggest.

While attributing an intelligence/lifeforce to the phenomenon is interesting. It is also neatly explained by a complex system for which we do not know all the variables.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  07:48:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fatal flaw in your reasoning is that all life is included in the "purge" process you suggest.

But not all life is affected in the same manner. Some life will prosper while some will decline.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  19:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, humans will survive because we are the best at adapting to, and manipulating our environment.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  20:35:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Less THC might help.

2. While humans may have some superficial viral traits, the earth is pretty far away from resembling a human body.

@OFFC- The survival of the human race is not guaranteed. I agree it isn't likely we will become extinct over our changing the climate, but I wouldn't say it is absolutely certain. Also, in a near worst case scenario, we are looking at the death of many millions of people when water and food reach short supply. Keep in mind those deaths are probably currently preventable. Don't know for how long that will be the case though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  08:33:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it's not a guarantee, I was just trying to highlight that as a self defence method against the planets most harmful organism, it would be pretty ineffective.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  10:04:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear M. Night Shamalan needs a new idea to murder...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.