Brit Docs vote to drop Homeopathy from NHS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  13:58:22  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is beautiful.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tomchivers/100044581/homeopathy-dropped-by-the-nhs-and-about-time/

The money quote at the end is absolutely perfect:

"And really, homeopaths shouldn’t be too disappointed. In fact, they should be grateful. After all, by their own logic, the less funding they get, the more effective it will be."

- TW

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  15:03:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent news!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  15:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really good news. Let's see how this pill goes down.

In the article they wrote...
B. that the more dilute a remedy is, the more potent it is – without limit. So – with not a trace of irony – homeopaths offer “remedies” diluted so far that you could reasonably expect to find one molecule in a sphere of water several times larger than the Sun. I am not exaggerating, incidentally.

Hummm. So Maybe I should take any Homeopathic medicine from x20 or x30 in drug stores and add "more processing". After making it more potent, to x100 (let's say), sell it on the internet as more potent than dosages available in your drug store. $$$$ SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  19:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, SS, you can sell nothing as being an infinitely potentized homeopathic remedy. Any homeopathic remedy, in fact.

But if you want to do anything like you suggest, you'll have to get your terminology correct. The X goes after the number. 20X, not x20. Of course, if consumers can't spot fake medicine, who's to say they'll be able to spot a fake homeopath?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Lloyd
Skeptic Friend

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  02:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bob Lloyd's Homepage Send Bob Lloyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now they've taken a step over homeopathy, they should be invited to do the same for chiropractic, acupuncture, and even Reiki, all of which occasionally get suggested in UK surgeries. And there's also a tendency for "combined practices" in which the offices in a health centre are rented out to "alternatives" which share the cost and inherit the stamp of approval from the medical centre itself. By entering into commercial agreements with these fake treatment practitioners, they undermine their ability to criticise them. We also need to urge the medical profession to dissuade their members from acquiring fake qualifications like chiropractic.

This first step, a voluntary avoidance of homeopathy, is not the root-and-branch exposure of alt-med that we need, and I hope it encourages others to up the ante, questioning qualifications, demanding evidence, exposing false claims, etc. I doubt it will somehow, but as skeptics we should take the opportunity to talk to the gullible about why doctors should be taking this decision. Alas, for the NHS it's a funding decision rather than one based on scientific principles.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  11:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish this sort of thing would take root here in the US. Insurance companies like some of the alternatives like acupuncture and chiropractic because they don't have to to pay out as much money on claims. I have had the supporters of alt's argue that because insurance companies recognize and pay for some alternative treatments, that must mean that they work.

To my knowledge, none of the health insurer's here pay for homeopathy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.