New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  10:10:23  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news indeed. Smoking seams to have caught up with him but who knows?
I certainly wish him the best. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  10:26:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will pray for him.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  15:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone4rock.....

I will pray for him.
Why?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  15:28:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Ebone4rock.....

I will pray for him.
Why?
Indeed. I think he'd be much happier if you were at least productive.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  15:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Ebone4rock.....

I will pray for him.
Why?
Indeed. I think he'd be much happier if you were at least productive.

That's certainly so. I'm going to wash dishes and clean the kitchen now for his speedy recovery.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randy.....

That's certainly so. I'm going to wash dishes and clean the kitchen now for his speedy recovery.
I'm not sure if that quip was a touch supercilious, or merely a comment on the efficacy of prayer; but it certainly points up the absurdity of Ebone's comment.

In fact, I'm not entirely sure that Ebone was not being bitingly sarcastic in his original comment, but somehow I have not yet read a tone of irony in Ebone4rock's commentary, so I am taking him literally.

With respect, (and I have a good deal of it for the man), to Hitchen's plight; it is difficult for me to reconcile his obviously remarkable intellect with a personal habit of smoking which, rationally, is a deathwish. Hitchens is indeed a complicated man.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

With respect, (and I have a good deal of it for the man), to Hitchen's plight; it is difficult for me to reconcile his obviously remarkable intellect with a personal habit of smoking which, rationally, is a deathwish. Hitchens is indeed a complicated man.

I believe he quit a few years ago. But his drinking is still legendary.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  19:32:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a cigarette with Hitchens. Actually, if he hadn't been outside smoking, I probably wouldn't have met him. I also got my favorite all time TAM picture from that chance meeting. I ran into him at the Skeptchick party later that evening. He was out on the balcony, smoking, drinking, and holding court...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:36:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

I had a cigarette with Hitchens.
Kil, how do you reconcile critical thinking with a personal habit of smoking?

Please don't misunderstand. I was two packs a day for over forty years of my life. But I have been to the woodshed. (CABG-6). And I am really trying not to proselyte, but am truly curious as to your rationalization for smoking.

If it's good enough, maybe I can spend the next few years not craving a smoke. I quit over twenty years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  00:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kil.....

I had a cigarette with Hitchens.
Kil, how do you reconcile critical thinking with a personal habit of smoking?

If it's good enough, maybe I can spend the next few years not craving a smoke. I quit over twenty years ago.

Cognitive dissonance.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  06:39:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ebone4rock.....

I will pray for him.
Why?

Just like in real life my facetiousness can sometimes be confused with seriousness.

On a serious note I do hope that medical science is advanced enough for a cure to be found for him.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  07:37:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Ebone4rock.....

I will pray for him.
Why?

Just like in real life my facetiousness can sometimes be confused with seriousness.

On a serious note I do hope that medical science is advanced enough for a cure to be found for him.

The cancer he has has a very high recovery rate as cancer goes. I doubt that he is not expected to make it.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  20:37:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

The cancer he has has a very high recovery rate as cancer goes. I doubt that he is not expected to make it.

What's up with the double negative?
Still good news, thanks Kil. I always do my best to avoid Doctors because I once heard "Nine times out of ten, the last person someone see's before they die, is a Doctor".

It's also said "Laughter is the best medicine". Perhaps some replies in this thread have helped, as much as any praying could have. If anyone gets my drift. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  03:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really hard news. If anyone has the intestinal fortitude to beat that cancer, it's The Hitch. I wish him the very best.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  06:51:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hitchens' cancer is a gift from god according to one thoroughly twisted christian (hat tip to PZ)

But to our question: how can cancer be an example of God’s grace to this suddenly stricken intellectual, who has made a career of arguing the case for atheism? A cancer which God didn’t “give,” but certainly permitted.

The short answer is this: if God really wanted to “get” Hitchens, God would just ignore the man, and let him go his blissful way, unchallenged, to a peaceful death.

At which point Hitchens would stand, face-to-face and unreconciled, with that very God.

So this is Hitchens' opportunity to convert before dying. It always comes down to the fear of death for these morons, doesn't it? And this idiocy does nothing to explain why theists are afflicted with fatal diseases.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  13:29:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Hitchens' cancer is a gift from god according to one thoroughly twisted christian (hat tip to PZ)

But to our question: how can cancer be an example of God’s grace to this suddenly stricken intellectual, who has made a career of arguing the case for atheism? A cancer which God didn’t “give,” but certainly permitted.

The short answer is this: if God really wanted to “get” Hitchens, God would just ignore the man, and let him go his blissful way, unchallenged, to a peaceful death.

At which point Hitchens would stand, face-to-face and unreconciled, with that very God.

So this is Hitchens' opportunity to convert before dying. It always comes down to the fear of death for these morons, doesn't it? And this idiocy does nothing to explain why theists are afflicted with fatal diseases.

Idiotic isn't it?

There most certainly ARE atheists in foxholes!

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.