Storm warning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  00:15:26  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People here in Baguio wince when I tell them I'm looking forward to experiencing my first typhoon.

I can't blame them for this attitude. After all, typhoons mean flooding, wind damage, deadly mudslides, the spread of diseases such as flood-borne leptospirosis and even hunger due to food shortages brought on by blocked highways. So I've shut my callous (Ameri)Cano trap on the subject.

Nevertheless, the first typhoon of the season may be on its way. Tropical storm Basyang is moving toward northern Luzon (here) while building toward typhoon strength. I mention this because I may lose communication with the world within a day or two. Even a heavy rain could block the microwave signals between my computer and the nearest cell site. As for my apartment, it's in a pretty good location as far as mudslides are concerned, and the only flooding is likely to be a flow of water down the steep street (Wakat Suello Road), which is downhill a bit from my apartment.

Things might get interesting around Wednesday or so. Trackers at PAGASA (Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration) expect Basyang's eye to pass right over Baguio. I'll try to get photos, but don't expect them to be spectacular, as I will avoid the most dangerous areas as much as possible.

After Basyang, maybe I'll never again look forward eagerly to a typhoon.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/12/2010 00:30:43

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  02:40:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The storm barely and briefly got up to typhoon status. It largely missed Baguio, hitting southern Luzon, including Manila. Some dozens of lives may have been lost there, due to one construction site collapse, falling trees, and fishermen going out in small boats in inclement weather.

Baguio just had showers and brisk winds. It was actually dryer here than it had been in the usual rainy season afternoon deluges.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.