Without direction in Baguio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  02:17:31  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look at Google Earth, locate my home, then step out onto the street and point in a just-established cardinal direction and call it "west" or "north." But my brain just doesn't believe it.

Since I was a kid, I've had an almost perfect sense of direction. Wherever I wandered in Southern California's chaparral-covered hills, I always knew my directions, and at any point could get back to my starting point in a direct line. I once honestly thought I was psychic that way. Now I realize that I was navigating by unconsciously using my inner clock, and the position of the sun.

I realized my non-psychic status as an adult, when I noticed my sense of direction was useless at night or in a heavy overcast. Now again, I suffer from a lack of direction, but for the first time I do so even when the sun is out.

The noon sun here in Baguio during July is to the north of the zenith. That's a simple enough concept for my mind to handle, but my temperate-zone-reared brain refuses to make the logical leap and incorporate this fact into its navigation system. So I may "know" which direction north is, but this just doesn't convince my brain, which has well over half a century of experience in accurate navigation.

So I have a continuing vague sense of unease, feeling directionless. I wonder if this is something I will somehow adjust to.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/16/2010 02:48:20

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  03:53:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I look at Google Earth, locate my home, then step out onto the street and point in a just-established cardinal direction and call it "west" or "north." But my brain just doesn't believe it.

Since I was a kid, I've had an almost perfect sense of direction. Wherever I wandered in Southern California's chaparral-covered hills, I always knew my directions, and at any point could get back to my starting point in a direct line. I once honestly thought I was psychic that way. Now I realize that I was navigating by unconsciously using my inner clock, and the position of the sun.

I realized my non-psychic status as an adult, when I noticed my sense of direction was useless at night or in a heavy overcast. Now again, I suffer from a lack of direction, but for the first time I do so even when the sun is out.

The noon sun here in Baguio during July is to the north of the zenith. That's a simple enough concept for my mind to handle, but my temperate-zone-reared brain refuses to make the logical leap and incorporate this fact into its navigation system. So I may "know" which direction north is, but this just doesn't convince my brain, which has well over half a century of experience in accurate navigation.

So I have a continuing vague sense of unease, feeling directionless. I wonder if this is something I will somehow adjust to.
Brains are stupid things....

My advice:

And carry them with you at all times.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  04:27:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are all good things, Fil, but I am not sailor enough to know how to operate a sextant.

I do have a Garmin GPS, but as yet I've been unable to find data for a good Philippine map to use in it. And besides, my bitch isn't that I can't get about (instructions to a cabbie will suffice, day to day) but merely that my brain is bitching about the mixed signals it's getting.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  05:16:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner,
Now that you are an island dweller you can forget all about N,S,E,W. You only need to know two directions, mauka (toward the mountains) and makai (towards the sea).

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  09:14:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Halfmooner,
Now that you are an island dweller you can forget all about N,S,E,W. You only need to know two directions, mauka (toward the mountains) and makai (towards the sea).
Ah-ha! In other words, uphill and downhill? That much I can handle, maybe.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  15:10:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few aids available.

http://news.therecord.com/article/507124

Hmm, that was not the one I heard about. But similar.
There was a belt that always buzzed north, regardless of the orientation of the wearer. Like a sixth sense.

Ah, think I found it:
http://www.cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de/NBP/PDFs_Publications/Nagel_JNeuralEng_05.pdf

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  19:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

There are a few aids available.

http://news.therecord.com/article/507124

Hmm, that was not the one I heard about. But similar.
There was a belt that always buzzed north, regardless of the orientation of the wearer. Like a sixth sense.

Ah, think I found it:
http://www.cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de/NBP/PDFs_Publications/Nagel_JNeuralEng_05.pdf
Thanks, Mab! What an elegant and stylish solution!

To paraphrase Homer by memory (Simpson, not the great epic author), "Ah, technology!: The solution to, and cause of, all of life's problems."

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  05:25:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't that the true definition of Extra Sensory Perception? ;)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.