This is good!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  09:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil Plait’s Sooper Sekrit Project Revealed: Bad Universe on Discovery!

Okay. So I know there is been that "tone" controversy going on and all that kind of stuff. But I do believe that this is the first "mainstream media" documentary series with a credible celebrity skeptic at the helm. (I'm not counting Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" as mainstream because it's on a pay channel and is often ideologically driven.)

This show is the reason he stepped down as president of the JREF. He didn't have time to do both.

Of course, in the preview there are lots of explosions. My hope is that there is more science than explosions, but even so, if that's what it takes to get 'em to tune in, so be it...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  09:24:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely will be watching that.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  09:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
celebrity?

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  10:03:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

celebrity?

Among skeptics, yes. And he has a wider audience through books that he as written, like Bad Astronomy. As I said he is a "celebrity skeptic."

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  12:25:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by On fire for Christ

celebrity?

Among skeptics, yes. And he has a wider audience through books that he as written, like Bad Astronomy. As I said he is a "celebrity skeptic."
And "Death From The Sky". The last chapter left me feeling like I had just stepped out of the Total Perspective Vortex.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  13:50:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

Apparently, his "video has been removed by the user." Link does not work. Any guesses why Mr. Plait removed it the same day it was posted?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  14:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Kil.....

Apparently, his "video has been removed by the user." Link does not work. Any guesses why Mr. Plait removed it the same day it was posted?
No. Could be that Plait didn't post it. It might have been a leak.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  18:12:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still, it says "...removed by the user". Removed by the poster so soon? Curious. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  19:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Still, it says "...removed by the user". Removed by the poster so soon? Curious. SS

This is just speculation on my part, but it's happened before that something published on youtube was not authorized by its rightful owner and pulled by request of those who own the copyright. And that could have been what happened here.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  19:33:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See where speculation will get you?

Phil Plait:
[UPDATE: D'oh! There was a problem with the video, and Discovery is in the process of fixing it. It should be back up soon.]

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.