Baguio's Pariah, the Askal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  22:00:26  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bayah, an askal.

"Askal" is one of the terms used by Filipinos for the local variety of pariah dog. It is considered a mongrel by locals (and even by Wikipedia). That is certainly part of its heritage. But that's misleading. Most likely, the askal is predominately the little-changed descendant of mankind's first canine companion, the wolf which first followed migrating hunter-gatherers, fed from their middens, then gradually evolved (and was selected for) a very short "flight distance" from humans. It eventually became both humanity's near universal symbiont and parasite.

A group of askals, tied up in the rain -- except
for Bayah (right), who peeks out from her shelter.

Askals are survivors. They usually get little respect, and often even less food. Some askals are left tied up without water or food for days at a time. I have yet to see an obese askal. Most are so thin, their ribs show clearly. I've seen Bayah (above) -- who is named for a popular Igorot rice "wine" -- recycle both her solid and liquid waste. (I now make sure that she gets water at least.)

Under such circumstances, those askals that are left to wander the streets are comparatively lucky. Yet at least a few askals (so I hear) are treated as treasured pets, and are fed well and pampered.

I've yet to meet a truly aggressive or mean askal, though most are quite convincing in making a good show-and-tell when doing their guard-dog work. Day and night, my neighborhood echoes almost constantly with the barks and howls of askals.

My guess is that askals are inherently among the most robust and cleverest of dogs. They have to be.

Askals generally choose their own breeding partners. The upshot of this is that they probably have few of the horrible genetic defects that Western pedigreed dogs have carelessly had bred into them.

I intend to have an askal pup as my canine companion someday, after my elderly Chihuahua Missy dies. When that happens, I will make sure that dog is free of parasites, is fed well but just enough, and I will treat it as beloved part of my new little family.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/28/2010 04:46:29

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  22:41:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a documentary years ago (pre-Internet) that said that if you left just about any mix of dogs alone in an urban environment and let nature run its course for just a few generations, the resultant population would all be much like the askals: short hair, generally friendly, medium build, long nose and medium tail, held high.

It's reverting to type, for their environment. Wolves didn't evolve to live in cities. Dogs can. In other words, askals seem to be the opposite of "special," they are instead the generic urban dog.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  02:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I saw a documentary years ago (pre-Internet) that said that if you left just about any mix of dogs alone in an urban environment and let nature run its course for just a few generations, the resultant population would all be much like the askals: short hair, generally friendly, medium build, long nose and medium tail, held high.

It's reverting to type, for their environment. Wolves didn't evolve to live in cities. Dogs can. In other words, askals seem to be the opposite of "special," they are instead the generic urban dog.
From everything I've read and seen, Dave, you have that exactly right. Pariah or "village" dogs are pretty much the same the world over. They are sort of the self-bred, unspecialized, archetype of the Original Doggy Dog.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  03:56:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool dogs. If I were in your position I would have a difficult time not taking all of them home with me. It is my dream to someday have a dog ranch.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:05:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Very cool dogs. If I were in your position I would have a difficult time not taking all of them home with me. It is my dream to someday have a dog ranch.
A dog ranch sounds great.

When my Dad lived in mountainous Pine Cove, in Southern California, there was a place named something like Dog Haven. It had what seemed to be over a hundred happy dogs of all sizes, breeds and ages running around in a several-acre enclosure with private shelters. All those dogs had been abandoned, yet all were welcome to stay for a lifetime, or until adopted by approved families. The dogs were neutered, well-fed, and cared for by vets. Volunteers kept them company from time to time, so they got their human fix. That "dog ranch" was far enough away from homes that the constant barking didn't bother people. The dogs socialized amongst themselves peacefully.

I hope you can someday have your dog farm, Ebone, and that it is as wonderful as that place.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

A dog ranch sounds great.

When my Dad lived in mountainous Pine Cove, in Southern California, there was a place named something like Dog Haven. It had what seemed to be over a hundred happy dogs of all sizes, breeds and ages running around in a several-acre enclosure with private shelters. All those dogs had been abandoned, yet all were welcome to stay for a lifetime, or until adopted by approved families. The dogs were neutered, well-fed, and cared for by vets. Volunteers kept them company from time to time, so they got their human fix. That "dog ranch" was far enough away from homes that the constant barking didn't bother people. The dogs socialized amongst themselves peacefully.

I hope you can someday have your dog farm, Ebone, and that it is as wonderful as that place.

It would be neat to take care of all the homeless dogs. Unfortunately my village has a 2 dog rule. I would take care of more if I could. We currently have a yellow lab with bad hind legs and a terrier/poodle mutt that we adopted. We had to put our old chocolate lab that we adopted from a shelter down a year or so ago. His ashes are currently fertilizing a willow tree we planted in his honor.

Sometimes I think I like dogs better than people. They are always honest and they love unconditionally.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:33:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

. . .

Sometimes I think I like dogs better than people. They are always honest and they love unconditionally.
I tend to agree, but I have known some dogs who were quite dishonest.

One was my own pooch. Scamp used to bark at migrant farm workers as they passed the house I grew up in. It seemed a racial thing with him vs. Mexicans. When I would shout at him to stop, he would pretend to see or hear a wild animal in the avocado orchard across the street, as if that was why he'd barked, and then go running off that way. Lying bastard.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats funny. My old chocolate lab would use diversionary tactics. Whenever I was taking out the trash he would get the yellow dog riled up so that when I was yelling at yellow dog he would then go and get into the garbage while I was busy.
Sneaky mongrel.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:42:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thats funny. My old chocolate lab would use diversionary tactics. Whenever I was taking out the trash he would get the yellow dog riled up so that when I was yelling at yellow dog he would then go and get into the garbage while I was busy.
Sneaky mongrel.
Yeah! I've heard that deception is a product of the more "primitive" hind-brain. That's why so many animals can outsmart us (or at least me).

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/28/2010 05:43:16
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  17:35:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are a handsome dog {b]mooner[/b]. I'm wondering are they good protectors and do they bark much? Quick to bark dogs can be trying.
I read this a couple days ago and was able to locate it again. It's an article right on this line of dogs behavior that you guys are talking about. Sneaky dogs. An interesting read. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  02:46:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

They are a handsome dog {b]mooner[/b]. I'm wondering are they good protectors and do they bark much? Quick to bark dogs can be trying.
I read this a couple days ago and was able to locate it again. It's an article right on this line of dogs behavior that you guys are talking about. Sneaky dogs. An interesting read. SS
People seem to think of their askals as good protectors. Me, I suspect their bark is better than their bite (to coin a phrase). They know how to put on a good show of mock aggression, but are actually quite shy when strangers get near. Think of them more as alarm dogs than guard dogs.

Their barking would drive most people nuts, but the Filipinos don't even seem to hear them, just as they ignore the crowing of their backyard chickens. One guy here was complaining to me about the increasing auto noise on our street in the last few years. I could hardly hear him talking (or hear the traffic) for all the askals barking. I suspect askals could be trained to keep quiet except in dire circumstances. After all, my Missy was a yappy Chihuahua a few years ago, and I trained her to silence by just telling her to shut up, just as I've trained her to stop nipping strangers' ankles.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  05:55:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Cool article.
My chocolate lab was the master of sneaky. Whenever we cook spaghetti there is usually some left in the strainer which is in the sink. He would very quietly stand himself up on his hind legs (imagine a 135 lb dog trying to do this quietly) and very gently balance the strainer by the edges hooked on his teeth. He would then gently lower himself to the ground and have himself a good ol' time. I always wanted to mount a video camera above the sink and send it to Americas Funniest Videos.

[b]Halfmooner[/b], you did a dangerous thing bringing up the subject of dogs. The four things I can talk about nonstop are dogs, music, hot chicks, and religion.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  09:03:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you could have set up a Rig like this Ebone. I don't think your lab would bounce off the window, he'd probably end up in the backyard. Watch this for one minute and take it all in. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.