Garminfone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  14:19:08  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here have a Garminfone? Any reviews on it would be appreciated.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  14:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Um, what's a Garminfone?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  14:29:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Robb

Um, what's a Garminfone?

I would assume you do not have one? Here it is http://garminfone.t-mobile.com/

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  14:40:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am unimpressed by this phone. The current gen of smartphones can give you essentially the same thing, plus are better at being smartphones.

The new Driod X and HTC Evo are pretty awesome devices, and you can get turn by turn voice guided GPS on both.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  14:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All is now clear - nope, I don't have one. Should I?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  15:11:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb.....

I don't have a Garminphone, but I do have a Garmin Nuvi 3760 GPS portable. I couldn't drive or walk in unfamiliar urban environments without it! Throw all your maps away!

In the last year or so, I have used it in six or seven of the largest cities in the US, and it works like a charm, even showing recent road repairs and route detours and calculating shortest routes - factoring in traffic volume.

It's an absolutely marvelous device and far better than the TomTom, which I had previously to the Garmin. The Garmin graphics are far superior to others, and the voice navigation is much easier to follow, as it anticipates normal turn decision time and seems almost prescient as to anticipating the driver (or walker's) mistakes. Pocket sized and 8 hour battery make it very practical for any form of travel.

I can recommend the Garmin navigation software and display system without qualification! If you travel, once you use one you are literally lost without it!
Edited by - bngbuck on 07/29/2010 15:15:35
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  18:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

All is now clear - nope, I don't have one. Should I?

I don't know, that is what I am trying to find out. They are having a good deal on them and I was thiknking about getting one. We will see.

Thanks Dude and bngbuck for your input.

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  01:14:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

..., and you can get turn by turn voice guided GPS on both.
So far, in the US only.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  10:10:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that many phones already have a GPS function, Garmin is behind the curve.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  10:29:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

..., and you can get turn by turn voice guided GPS on both.
So far, in the US only.

There are places other than the US? Why am I always the last one to be told about these things?!

Seriously though, I didn't know the gps nav functions on these phones didn't work outside the US. Seems crazy.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  12:48:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously though, I didn't know the gps nav functions on these phones didn't work outside the US. Seems crazy.
GPS Nav functions does, just not the voice guide.

My Apple iPhone uses Google-maps for navigation. How up to date it is, I haven't checked.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  14:29:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is because of map licencing. Maps with all the traffic rules are expensive. Google own the US maps and can do what ever they want with them, but the maps of other countries seems to be at least partly owned by other companies. For instance Tele Atlas, a subsidary of TomTom.

For some reason Tele Atlas does not seem to want to let Google give their users free navigation on those maps.

(The other map gigant Navteq is a subsidary of Nokia, which offer free world wide navigation in their GPS phones)

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.