Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  17:43:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thin Air Designs......

But other than that, not much as long as the tires etc can withstand spinning twice as fast as normal for a short time.
What would the acceptable LDA be for such an aircraft landing?

Normal, shorter or longer than it would be on a ordinary runway?

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  17:44:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brought to mind an older 'wing car' article from 1980 Popular Science. Hopefully the link will work...

http://www.popsci.com/archive-viewer?id=GgEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=102&query=wing+car

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:43:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

I know if it's a Piper Cub and it crashed in a graveyard, in Poland. They'd be recovering bodies for days! SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:05:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThinAirDesigns

Here is a just released great first person article from Kimball Livingston -- editor at Sail Magazine.
-
http://kimballlivingston.com/?p=3971
The video there brings it all together for me, even if it's taking forever to load. A much deeper understanding dawned as, from a dead stop, the blades started turning backwards compared to how they'd rotate if it were a wind turbine or the like. Nice.

Thank you, JB, for taking the time to post here (and everywhere else).

So... would the number of blades make a difference in performance (assuming you could put as many on as you want with the same total weight)?

I imagine that, at speed, if the driver turned 90° to the wind, the BUFC would just slow down and stop. What would happen if, at speed, you pulled a 180? The chain snaps and everyone goes home?

If you had a system which could dynamically pitch the blades, and a gimbal system to turn the whole propeller relative to the cart, could it work in almost any wind, or is this a one-trick pony (although it's a very cool trick!)?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I know if it's a Piper Cub and it crashed in a graveyard, in Poland. They'd be recovering bodies for days!
What's the landspeed record for rubber-band powered craft?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThinAirDesigns

13 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ThinAirDesigns a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you are considering small things then "shorter" by a small amount because there will be more headwind than normal due to the movement of the belt against the air. This added headwind will work to slow the craft down above and beyond normal.

Also a slightly 'shorter' effect due to the slightly higher amount of airplane KE used to spin the tires up to 200mph rather than 100mph upon touchdown. This will knock a tiny bit more speed off the plane at touchdown than normal

There could be other tiny ones that I'm missing, but otherwise and for the most part ... normal LDA.

JB

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  06:18:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a pretty neat balancing act, having the torque from the wheels almost out-balanced by the wind-induced counter-torque from the propeller, but only just.

I'm impressed.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThinAirDesigns

13 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  06:23:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ThinAirDesigns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

It's a pretty neat balancing act, having the torque from the wheels almost out-balanced by the wind-induced counter-torque from the propeller, but only just.

I'm impressed.

Thanks.

Yes, you can alter the gearing/pitch to favor one force over the other. If you favor the wind-induced force it of course becomes a directly upwind vehicle.

JB
Go to Top of Page

ThinAirDesigns

13 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  06:28:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ThinAirDesigns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave:
Thank you, JB, for taking the time to post here (and everywhere else).

Thanks Dave.

So... would the number of blades make a difference in performance (assuming you could put as many on as you want with the same total weight)?

More blades in the same rotor size create more thrust, but less efficiency. In our application efficiency is king. More blades would lower performance.

I imagine that, at speed, if the driver turned 90° to the wind, the BUFC would just slow down and stop. What would happen if, at speed, you pulled a 180? The chain snaps and everyone goes home?

Yes to the first -- this vehicle performs *best* at DDW and degrades the further off the wind you get.

If you take a vehicle like ours and point it the other way, it still goes DDW, just not as fast since the camber of the airfoil isn't optimized.

If you had a system which could dynamically pitch the blades, and a gimbal system to turn the whole propeller relative to the cart, could it work in almost any wind, or is this a one-trick pony (although it's a very cool trick!)?

Ours is a one-trick-pony since it was optimized for record purposes -- there is no theoretical problem however with a vehicle built just as you describe being able to go faster than the wind in all directions.

JB
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  08:14:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, I'm JB -- one of the two primary designer builders of the vehicle in question.

Originally posted by HalfMooner

I'd like to know whether, somewhere in that "massively heavy-duty transmission," there is a flywheel lurking.

Journalists/bloggers always want to make something BIG or SUPER when doing a story. I have no idea why this one picked the transmission to 'super-size'. He of course never spoke to us nor did his research from our project blog (http://www.fasterthanthewind.org)

Our transmission consists of ordinary bicycle sprockets and chain.

http://www.fasterthanthewind.org/2010/01/next.html
http://www.fasterthanthewind.org/2010/02/last-circle-for-now.html
http://www.fasterthanthewind.org/2010/02/one-thrust-box-to-go.html

I can envision such a wind-powered vehicle building up energy from harnessing a following wind's energy into potential in a flywheel while stopped or at speeds lower than the wind.

The transmission is of the fixed ratio type -- we used the cassette to find the right ratio on the dyno, but there's no derailer and no shifting happens while on the run. (we haven't change ratios since we found the optimum one.

With a fixed ratio transmission, there is no way for any stored KE in the rotating parts of the drivetrain (prop, etc) to be used to accelerate the vehicle since slowing the prop also slows the wheels.

JB
Thanks for the reply, and welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, ThinAirDesigns! I have to admit that I simply do not understand the way this car operates. Smarter people than myself are trying to explain it, but for me to no avail. But, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I will simply accept that this thing works as advertised.

Apparently you folks did some pretty fine engineering. Congrats!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  08:49:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ThinAir.....

What happens? ... People on the internet argue about it for years. :-)

But other than that, not much as long as the tires etc can withstand spinning twice as fast as normal for a short time.
There could be other tiny ones that I'm missing, but otherwise and for the most part ... normal LDA.

JB
I have not the slightest doubt that you folks know exactly what you are doing and what you have done!

Congratulations on an elegant piece of engineering! It deserves to go down in history alongside the unknown Chinese Han Dynasty inventor of the Junk! I sincerely hope you can take this breakthrough innovation into practical fruition and make it a perpetual notion!
Go to Top of Page

ThinAirDesigns

13 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ThinAirDesigns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I simply do not understand the way this car operates. Smarter people than myself are trying to explain it, but for me to no avail. But, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I will simply accept that this thing works as advertised.

Apparently you folks did some pretty fine engineering. Congrats!

Thanks Halfmooner.

If you are willing to put up with me for a few posts I might be able to walk you through some of the basic principles involved and make the lightbulb go on.

I understand though it you don't have the time or are otherwise uninterested.

JB
Edited by - ThinAirDesigns on 08/03/2010 10:49:37
Go to Top of Page

ThinAirDesigns

13 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:39:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ThinAirDesigns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks bngbuck.

JB
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  13:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

More blades in the same rotor size create more thrust, but less efficiency. In our application efficiency is king. More blades would lower performance.
Can't you guys get your equipment from the same place that used to sell my physics teacher his friction-free surfaces and immovable objects?
If you take a vehicle like ours and point it the other way, it still goes DDW, just not as fast since the camber of the airfoil isn't optimized.
No, I was wondering what'd happen if you made a U-turn at speed. I imagine the turn radius of your particular BUFC isn't all that small, but what would happen if, say, the driver was capable of turning the cart directly upwind without losing more than, oh, 25% of the forward speed? The propeller would still be providing thrust, but it would be spinning the wrong way relative to the wind, yes?
Ours is a one-trick-pony since it was optimized for record purposes...
Understood.
...there is no theoretical problem however with a vehicle built just as you describe being able to go faster than the wind in all directions.
So could the drive-train be "enhanced" with a battery-driven motor to get it up to speed, faster? And could "excess" power available from the wind (say the operator doesn't want to go as fast as he could go) be used to charge that battery? Really, I'm just wondering if the lack of theoretical problems could someday result in a practical vehicle that'd work better than sticking a wind turbine generator on the roof of an all-electric car.

Well, towards that practicality question: how much of a difference in performance of your actual BUFC does the mass of the driver make?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  13:22:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you are willing to put up with me for a few posts I might be able to walk you through some of the basic principles involved and make the lightbulb go on.
Forget about whether HalfMooner would put up with it, I will happily put up with it, and I've got more clout another here than he.

In other words: please!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.