Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:25:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Alright, I challenge all of the naysayers to come visit. Within moments of talking to a group of hunters you will realize the passion the majority of us have for both the environment and the wildlife.
I don't doubt the passion. I'm wondering which came first, the passion or the government interference?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:49:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Alright, I challenge all of the naysayers to come visit. Within moments of talking to a group of hunters you will realize the passion the majority of us have for both the environment and the wildlife.
I don't doubt the passion. I'm wondering which came first, the passion or the government interference?

My theory is that they grew together. After the land was raped by greedy loggers in the late 19th - early 20th century and the settlers moved into the state is when both the DNR and the population grew. Many parts of the state were not settled until then.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  15:46:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking only for the few dozen hunters I know personally, myself included, all of us are actively engaged with conservation efforts where we live. By choice.

BPS, yeah, these efforts are historically (in the last 50 years or so) a pushback against those who would have likely continued exterminating species without strict laws and harsh penalties in place. Most of us want nothing like that to ever happen again. I hope you don't really think that hunters who support conservation and regulation are just doing it for themselves. I honestly don't know anyone who has that outlook.

Another thing to note also, in my generation (40 something) there are far fewer trophy hunters than in my parents generation. I suspect that concept is fading. Hell, even crazy (stupid retarded crazy mofo) Ted Nugent agrees that trophy hunting is not an acceptable practice.

Everyone I personally know and hunt with follows the same basic outlook on hunting. You shoot it only if you intend to eat it, and you should actively participate in local conservation efforts (volunteer, donate, something).

I'm not saying no one hunts just for trophies, just that the majority dont, and the majority also have a mire enlightened understanding of the need for moderation and conservation.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  16:29:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to be anti-hunting, but a few decades ago I read something that instantly changed my mind. It was an article written by a chap named Tiny Bennett, an outdoors writer for the Toronto Telegram and its successor, the Sun. Without having the exact words at hand I will phrase it as closely as I can: "The hunter who goes out to put meat on the table has at least got the guts to do the dirty work himself, rather than paying someone at a slaughterhouse to do it for him." I have met many people who decry hunting and fishing, yet they continue to eat meat, meaning that they are just as responsible for the death of an animal as a hunter, but won't do the deed themselves. I knew one person who took it to extremes; he thought that all hunters were assholes, anyone who worked in a slaughterhouse was a monster who loved cold-blooded killing of defenceless animals, yet he also thought that vegetarians were idiots, and he consumed large amounts of meat. The disconnect was very had to comprehend.

I respect vegetarians for having the courage of their convictions, whether they live that lifestyle for moral reasons or for perceived health benefits. But those who consume meat yet continue to rail against hunters are being phony. Trophy hunting I do not agree with, and the hunting of predators is in my opinion unnecessary, as their numbers are controlled by the amount of prey.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Edited by - The Rat on 08/07/2010 06:37:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.