Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  20:59:20  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “The Truth About The Bible And Evolution” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  05:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I was reading this, it started sounding familiar. This kook sent what is essentially the same insane rambling to PZ over a year ago. It hasn't gotten any better with age.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  05:43:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, all is now clear. It is not "monkey-to-man" evolution at all; it is really man-to-monkey. I'm certainly glad that's at last been cleared up. Has Dawkins been informed yet?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/08/2010 05:44:41
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  13:51:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To a greater or lesser degree this is typical theist rational. You can't hold a reasonable discussion with twisted imaginary beliefs like this or any similar kind. That's why most notable atheist don't want to bother anymore. It's pointless. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  14:35:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first paragraph of this thing is a hoot! After that more-or-less accurate, Biblically, summation of man's creation, it takes either a lot of gall or serious head trauma to call abiogenesis impossible and a fantasy.

Gotta love it!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  17:16:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

The first paragraph of this thing is a hoot! After that more-or-less accurate, Biblically, summation of man's creation, it takes either a lot of gall or serious head trauma to call abiogenesis impossible and a fantasy.

Gotta love it!

Here's my favorite sentence near the beginning of the letter:

Then God went away and while he was gone, Lucifer tried to get Eve to
eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Then God went away? He was called away on business? Went to Disneyland for a vacation?

Reporter: "Hey God. Now that you have created the heavens and the earth and everything, what are you going to do next?"

God: "I'm going to Disneyland!!!"

Note: I just read the part of Genesis and it seems that God was somewhere else in the Garden at the time.
Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons. 8 And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, "Where are you?"

But really, so much for being omnipotent.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  18:22:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note: I just read the part of Genesis and it seems that God was somewhere else in the Garden at the time.

Well, of course. He had stuff other than magic trees growing in there; some really good shit, fit for the gods as it were.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  22:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One could spend a lifetime trying to piece together a narrative as disjointed and bizarre as this, but it doesn't explain alien abductions.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  06:07:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, it's all so clear to me know. Whenever we fornicate with anyone we are really fornicating with ourselves.
Gives new meaning to " Go Fuck Yourself".

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  07:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

One could spend a lifetime trying to piece together a narrative as disjointed and bizarre as this, but it doesn't explain alien abductions.
But... but... but... it's got Bigfoot!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  14:01:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Ah, it's all so clear to me know. Whenever we fornicate with anyone we are really fornicating with ourselves.
Gives new meaning to " Go Fuck Yourself".

Well, we know god is a motherfucker, because Jesus is god (trinity tribulations) and god did the nasty with Jesus's mother. Imagine being born with intimate carnal knowledge of your mom. Tell me that's not gonna mess up your perspective just a wee bit...

Explains much, really.

Still, I have to concede the point to Dave: Bigfoot for the win.

- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  18:59:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of these men and boys went exploring to Borneo and caught female orangutans and took them to South America and had sex with them and created the Indians.
To say that this, the whole letter, was stupid should be considered insulting to those who are merely stupid.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  05:53:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? Don't you understand anything? It's all so logical. Geeech! SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  13:46:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you ever seen an 8 ft. tall chimpanzee? I haven't either

Well that settles it.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Farseeker
Skeptic Friend

Canada
76 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  19:43:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Farseeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A most interesting set of statements.

I am just a systems analyst, too simple to understand all this.

But I notice a few points.

1. either small g god needs people or...
2. people need the concept of a small g god.

3 God with a capital G., seems either a myth, or a need for a large number of people, or a "teacher" putting us through his paces, etc.

4. Seems to me, many sci-fi people have addressed the issue... god or God may be a creation of our collective consciousness... don't know, not sure how to test it as a hypothesis.

That said, I like the sci fi story by James Schmitz "Stranger in a Strange Land".

Admittedly dated, but the concepts are valid still today... at least in my opinion.

All this speculation boils down to

1. is there a god or God?
obvious answer... depends on how one defines such. Yes for some people, no for others. As Dr. Phil likes to say, "Perception is reality".

2. Do we have an understanding of consciousness? Is there a "law" of conservation of consciousness (we have a "law" of conservation of lots of things. Matter, energy, spin, momentum, electrical charge, etc.). So, why not consciousness?

Of course, I have not seen a definition of courteousness that addresses my experience. As the Japanese poet said; "Last night I dreamed I was a butterfly. Or am I butterfly dreaming I am a man?" Excuse me if I did not quote exactly.

The point is valid. I think I exist, and the world is a dream. Interesting hypotheses, how do I test it? One writer said "reality is the furniture you stumble over in the dark". Good point!

Ted.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  19:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Stranger in a Strange Land was written by Robert A. Heinlein.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.