Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Lucy drove steel like a man, lord lord.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  06:50:38  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A afarensis, it seems was a tool user, or so this study implies. If correct, it sets the origins of tool use in hominins back some 800,000 years. Which further implies that tool use could have been common clear back to the last human/chimp, common ancestor.
Ker Than

for National Geographic News

Published August 11, 2010

Early human ancestors may have been using tools about 800,000 years earlier than thought, according to a new study based on newfound bone evidence—prehistoric leftovers linked to the famed "Lucy" fossil's species.

The discovery suggests, to at least one scientist, that tool use may extend as far back as five million years ago, to the last common ancestor of chimps and humans.

Found in East Africa, the two 3.4 million-year-old animal bones behind the new study appear to have been cut and crushed by stone tools wielded by the apelike human-ancestor species Australopithecus afarensis.

"You have all these images in museums and elsewhere showing Lucy walking through this East African landscape looking for food, and now we can put a stone tool in Lucy's hand," said study co-author Shannon McPherron, an archaeologist with the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany.

A fascinating article, clearly demonstrating that the more we learn, the more we have yet to learn. Eat yer freakin' liver, Ham, for you will ever dwell in willful ignorance.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

AnthroGeek

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  07:44:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AnthroGeek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I would like to see tool use pushed back farther on the Hominin line there might be another cause of the marks found.

A series of fun one-liners about various pseudoscientific claims and, even better, a concise description of the scientific method - Ken Feder on Skeptic Friends Network from "Frauds, Myths and Mysteries"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  10:52:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AnthroGeek

As much as I would like to see tool use pushed back farther on the Hominin line there might be another cause of the marks found.

I've looked carefully at the photographs of the marks left by the croc bite and the questioned tool mark and see a considerable difference. The tool mark is a straight scratch such as that of a blade of some sort skittering across bone during meat removal. The croc bite is pitted and crooked -- their teeth are not all that sharp and are designed for holding, rather than cutting. I think a bone as delicate as a rib would simply have been crushed, but I agree; another possibility.

But another question, and an even more interesting one, is lurking in the shadows: if the marks are indeed tool marks, and the rib bone has been accurately dated, what tool made them? The mark is as clean as any found in a butcher's shop, so had the bit of stone been modified? Had it been knapped or was it just a busted cobble?

I dunno and I'm looking forward to the experts sorting it out. I'm sure there will be much scientific bloodshed and creationist frothing before it's over with.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  05:37:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I think a bone as delicate as a rib would simply have been crushed,...

If the jaws are this powerful, then yeah, they will be crushed.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  06:34:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are different teeth in crocodilians suited for their diets. Gavials, for example, have thin, very sharp teeth. They are strictly fish-eaters.

And this is a Nile Crocodile's choppers. These guys will eat anything containing protine. The bird doing the dental work is one of the African Ox-peckers.

Neat 'gators. They remind me of a place where I worked back in the mid-fifties -- the best job I ever had. Thanks!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.