Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Social Issues
 Judge rules in favor for free speech (and Phelps)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  16:06:34  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/16/missouri.funeral.protests.ruling/index.html?hpt=T2

I don't know if to be glad of this or pissed off. On one hand they do have a right to say what they want, but on the other hand 300 feet isn't that far away and people deserve a chance to put their love one's body to rest.

Very frustrated that in order to uphold my rights I have to let this man's bad taste in place and time go.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  19:49:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't we agree this was probably going to happen sometime a few months ago?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 08/16/2010 19:51:58
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  20:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This guy is a piece of shit.

But, despite that, he is in the US. We don't really have a choice but to let him say his bit. In fact, we shouldn't feel upset by that but rather we should feel a sense of pride.

As soon as we deny one person that right, where would we stop? No limits on speech other than those that exist to protect the rights/safety of others. No incitement to violence, no yelling fire in a crowd, etc. The rest has to be allowed. No exceptions.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  18:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually happy. This is a good day for the 1st Amendment.

Phelps is a complete bag-o-crap and I'd love to participate in the protest at his funeral.

I just find it a bit odd that the useless knee-biter didn't get any press until he moved his protests from the funerals for gay men (something he had done for quite some time and was met by the angel squad who had large wings to block out the sight of the protesters from the grieving families) and moved to US servicemen. What the lawmakers failed to see as a problem then became a huge problem now.

Heck, he didn't even get that much press when he tried to get a statue of Matthew Shepherd erected in his home town park saying that he entered Hell on his date of death and listed Levitican passages.

The town voted to remove all religious displays in the park instead of letting the statue be erected.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.