Certified Hauntings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  12:10:33  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A favorite past time of mine and a group of my friends is investigating supposedly haunted locations. This time of year is when I start researching supposedly haunted locations and planning our annual " Ghost Hunting" trip which takes place late Sept or early Oct. Now we are not at all like the TV Ghosthunting dudes. The only equipment we use is cameras and alcohol. For me it is not at all about trying prove or disprove hauntings. What I enjoy is learning about the urban legends and talking to people who have local knowledge about whatever place we are visiting.

What concerns me is that I frequently encounter different paranormal groups while doing research. None of these groups are charging any money for their investigations but I still think that they may be doing emotional harm to their clients. Many of them will certify whether a home or business is haunted based on things that they have no way of being able to explain. I really have no problem with businesses claiming that they are haunted because (for me anyway) it is purely for entertainment. Here is an example of one of my favorite places http://www.kewauneeinn.com/indexhome.htm
Still Haunted?

Yes Indeed!

Guests are encouraged to write in a diary the experiences they have with the ghosts who exist here.

A Green Bay psychic, Rita Anne Freeman was the first to describe who was haunting the place, confirming what the owners and staff already knew; They were sharing the place with some long-time unseen residents.

Wisconsin Ghost Investigations team in 2002 certified that Inn is haunted

What I do have a problem with is when they scare poor families living in private homes by saying there may be something paranormal going on. I dont care how much they try to skirt around it at the end of the investigation.
Conclusion:

WPI can say with the personal paranormal experience during our initial walk-through and the evidence gathered that there is some paranormal activity based upon the claims and not being able to find natural, reasonable explanations for these claims. However, we cannot say that this residence investigated is haunted as the evidence overall is inconclusive.

From http://www.wpihuntsthetruth.com/100327EHW.html

What authority do these people have to "certify" that a location is haunted?

What's a skeptic to do?

Thoughts?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  16:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You say you investigate places as a hobby, what's the creepiest place you've been to and do you think it is genuinely haunted?

With regards to your topic, yeah it's stupid but like you said, what can you do.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  18:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

You say you investigate places as a hobby, what's the creepiest place you've been to and do you think it is genuinely haunted?

With regards to your topic, yeah it's stupid but like you said, what can you do.

The creepiest places have been cemeteries. http://www.hauntedwi.com/HauntedWisLocs/JuneauEagleRoadCemetery.htm and http://www.hauntedwi.com/HauntedWisLocs/AlmondSpiritlandCemetery.htm This one is really creepy because it's really old and you can see the corners of many of the coffins because of years of erosion. It's gets really creepy when you are walking along and you can feel and hear the hollowness under your feet.
We always include at least one cemetery in our adventure. It's fun to save them for nighttime so we can scare the girls.
Some of my favorite places are http://www.hauntedwi.com/HauntedWisLocs/MadisonBarNextDoor.htm
Because it's a really cool prohibition era building and has lots of neat features like hidden drop out windowsills so you can hide your booze and your guns.
and http://www.littlebohemialodge.com/ because the owners let us have the run of the place and I found John Dillingers bed in a closet. They actually filmed "Public Enemies" here (two years after we ghost hunted there) and my friend is in the movie.
The Kewaunee Inn that I posted a link to in the OP is also a really cool place.

Edited because I can't spell

Do I think they are haunted? Hell no, I don't beleive in ghosts. My favorite thing is rersearching the urban legends behind the places and talking to the people who know the stories.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Edited by - Ebone4rock on 08/17/2010 18:27:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.