Heavy drinking helps you live longer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  04:14:09  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201433200 _ylt=Al0PpnCFG4Zuc01fUT4VtoRv24cA _ylu=X3oDMTM1dHBvZTVlBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA4MzAvMDg1OTkyMDE0MzMyMDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaGVhdnlkcmlua2Vy
And I thought I was doing myself a service but cutting down my drinking to next to nothing the last few years!
I better get back into the swing. I had a lot more fun when I was drinking more anyway.

Thoughts?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  04:24:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Nice! http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201433200 _ylt=Al0PpnCFG4Zuc01fUT4VtoRv24cA _ylu=X3oDMTM1dHBvZTVlBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA4MzAvMDg1OTkyMDE0MzMyMDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaGVhdnlkcmlua2Vy
And I thought I was doing myself a service but cutting down my drinking to next to nothing the last few years!
I better get back into the swing. I had a lot more fun when I was drinking more anyway.

Thoughts?

Title is a bit misleading. From the research it seems that non-drinkers die earliest, heavy drinkers after that and moderate drinkers live longest (moderate probably being around 1 or 2 standard glasses of alcohol a day). I've looked a bit at alcohol research in the past and this is not really a new finding, although interesting nonetheless.

So cutting back is still good. Sorry

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  04:26:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, anyone any idea how to make sense of this sentence from the article?

"Moderate alcohol use (especially when the beverage of choice is red wine) is thought to improve heart health, circulation and sociability, which can be important because people who are isolated don't have as many family members and friends who can notice and help treat health problems. "

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  04:41:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't read this. Due to the link, the page format
goes from my monitor clear down to the pond.

How to hyperlink:
How to make hyperlinked text, insert a URL-link

Example 1 (starting from scratch):

How to hyperlink a word:

Start with finding the hyperlink-icon next to the other Format text icons.
The forum tag hyperlink is the Globe-looking hyperlink icon

This causes the url formatting tag to be inserted in your text where the cursor is located. It looks like this:

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  05:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drinking is just like being married. A life with either only seems longer.
There is another study that concluded, most married men die first ......because they want to. Probably because their wife won't let them drink.

This won't change much. Just like the study that suggests sex cures headaches. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  05:34:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
originally posted by Tomk80
Title is a bit misleading.

I'm going by the title! Time to belly up fellas!

Filthy, thanks for the tip on hyperlinking. I will try it next time.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  07:37:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

By the way, anyone any idea how to make sense of this sentence from the article?

"Moderate alcohol use (especially when the beverage of choice is red wine) is thought to improve heart health, circulation and sociability, which can be important because people who are isolated don't have as many family members and friends who can notice and help treat health problems. "

I interpret is thusly:
"Drinking red wine moderately is good for your body, your heart, and makes you funnier to be around. Besides, drinking buddies are good to have in case you get sick."

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  20:24:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap, I'm immortal!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.