New study on why people reject experts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  13:01:52  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why "Scientific Consensus" Fails to Persuade

Link to the actual paper.

From the nsf.gov news article:
He said the more likely reason for the disparity, as supported by the research results, "is that people tend to keep a biased score of what experts believe, counting a scientist as an 'expert' only when that scientist agrees with the position they find culturally congenial."

Interesting reading!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  16:13:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Confirmation bias galore.

"To make sure people form unbiased perceptions of what scientists are discovering, it is necessary to use communication strategies that reduce the likelihood that citizens of diverse values will find scientific findings threatening to their cultural commitments."

With some people calling for "return to traditional values", it is perhaps not surprising that they also reject, for example, evolution.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  04:30:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Dude, it is a very interesting read. Good post. For me it does shine a little light on how and why others and including at times myself, reject the concepts or opinions we do. At times contrary to our own and collective best interests. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  12:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Yes Dude, it is a very interesting read. Good post. For me it does shine a little light on how and why others and including at times myself, reject the concepts or opinions we do. At times contrary to our own and collective best interests. SS

Yeah, the most difficult bias to recognize is our own.

I thought it was very interesting to see some confirmation of a thought I had been assuming true, that our cultural influences strongly impact how we view the conclusions of experts.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.