God done it!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  03:45:16  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trapped Chilian miners are soon to be pulled out of the ground after sixty-some days of some pretty amazing rescue efforts. So, of course, the credit must go to God and those who prayed at him, as it couldn't have been done by mortal man and mere technology. At least according to a trio of near-by, Christian shamans.

As PZ sez; if they can take the credit for the living, why shouldn't they take the blame for the dead?
The three Christian denominations have each claimed credit for what they say is divine intervention in the survival - and expected imminent rescue - of the 33 men who have spent 67 days beneath the earth.

"God has spoken to me clearly and guided my hand each step of the rescue," said Carlos Parra Diaz, a Seventh-day Adventist pastor at the San Jose mine. "He wanted the miners to be rescued and I am His instrument."

Yards from where he spoke Caspar Quintana, the Catholic bishop of Copiapo, prepared an altar to celebrate an outdoor mass for a small congregation of miners' relatives and phalanx of TV cameras. "God has heard our prayers," said the bishop. "I have received comments of encouragement from all over the world. Let us give thanks."

A litte bit further up the hill of Camp Hope, the improvised settlement of miners' families, rescuers, government officials and media, an evangelical preacher, Javier Soto , wandered from family to family with a guitar and songs of praise. "He listens to the music," said the pastor, gesturing to the azure sky.

And where, precisely, was this God fellow when the cave-in happened, hmm?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  04:12:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awe Christ Filthy, don't even get me started. Did you know that God spared Hawaii from the tsunami created by the Chile earthquake in February? (I guess he must not have cared about all of the people that died in Chile) Did you know that God guided my friends car into a parking lot when it stalled the other day? ( gravity and inertia had nothing to do with it).

God does all kinds of cool shit. He helps some people and fucks others.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  04:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Awe Christ Filthy, don't even get me started. Did you know that God spared Hawaii from the tsunami created by the Chile earthquake in February? (I guess he must not have cared about all of the people that died in Chile) Did you know that God guided my friends car into a parking lot when it stalled the other day? ( gravity and inertia had nothing to do with it).

But if he wasn't always doing things in a ways that have a perfectly natural explanation his actions would not have the appearance of people just making shit up. For instance, if on day 3 after the miners became trapped they were whisked to the surface. Or throw in an earth quake that created a fortuitous opening.
<shrugg>

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 10/12/2010 04:45:36
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  00:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock
Did you know that God guided my friends car into a parking lot when it stalled the other day? ( gravity and inertia had nothing to do with it).

He made gravity and inertia, duh. (*huff* godless heathens...)

Fucking people is okay because if they're good, they're infinitely unfucked, and as we know, infinity - 10 (fucked penalty) tends to infinity, so it's still infinitely good, so obviously, argument destroyed.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  04:15:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nine miners out and another getting ready to fly, all due to some excellent engineering and dedicated, hard-working roughnecks. At this point, it looks like all thirty three will soon be topside, hale & hearty. Well done!

And a lot of credit must go to the trapped miners. They got organized and stayed civilized for over two months underground. Not too shabby!

Apart from those mentioned in the OP, and the usual "miracle" blather on the tv news, I haven't heard much from the pious, but I'm sure it'll be coming down the media pike any time now. A pity, as it takes away from the remarkable accomplishments of those who have done them.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  05:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

A pity, as it takes away from the remarkable accomplishments of those who have done them.

That's fundamental to the way the priestly class works - teach humans to hate themselves. Then it's easier to get them to love something else.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  13:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
22 out and counting...... what an amazing effort this continues to be! It's running like the railroads are supposed to run but rarely do.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  02:28:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All are safe now, except from the media.

West Virginia could learn something from the Chileans.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  06:22:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of sicko uses this kind of tragedy (and it was a tragedy, right up until they got out) for self-aggrandizement??!!

I know these religious types do it all the time. I just wonder what is clinically mentally wrong with them.

If you think it's work, you're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.