Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  09:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear: We watch so you don't have to
Live video stream of the rally begins at 12 p.m

Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear is a demonstration planned for October 30, 2010, on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., to be led by Jon Stewart and an in-character Stephen Colbert. It is a merging of two previously, separately scheduled events: Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity and Colbert's own satirical counterpart, the March to Keep Fear Alive.
Billed as "a rally for the people who've been too busy to go to rallies", its stated purpose is to provide a venue for attendees to be heard above what Stewart describes as the more vocal and extreme 15–20 percent of Americans who "control the conversation" of United States politics,[1] such as the Tea Party movement and the 9/11 Truth movement.[2] News reports have cast the rally as a satirical response to Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor rally and the "Reclaim the Dream" counter-rally....

This is on right now. Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters are on now. This event is being streamed on several sites, plus it's live right now on comedy central.

I would have put this in the humor folder, but I think at its heart, this is a political event.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  12:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how was it? I had Halloween-related stuff to do with my boy, and only caught the Kareem Abdul-Jabaar bit.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  13:13:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

So how was it? I had Halloween-related stuff to do with my boy, and only caught the Kareem Abdul-Jabaar bit.
It was good. Lots of fun. And Stewarts closing speech was great. His target was mostly the media. I'm looking for a copy of it now.

The national mall was filled. The estimates are in the 100,000 plus range. Almost certainly more people than showed up to Beck's tea party rally.

The sad thing is it isn't likely to change anything.

I have MSNBC on and they are waiting for Stewart and Colbert to arrive for a news conference, soon.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  13:36:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it. Stewart's closing speech.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  14:30:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've missed the whole thing. But from what I've read, the crowd ranged from 60,000 (Drudge linking to Yahoo) to 500,000 (AmericaBlog). Doubtless, both estimates are off, but Becks pathetic, little group spew suffers badly in the comparison nevertheless. And it seemed to be a much happier crowd -- Glenn doesn't inspire "happy," hate's more his bag.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  14:51:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ is a little disappointed.
had the Stewart/Colbert rally on in the background most of today. There were funny bits, there were entertaining bits, I'm sure everyone there had a good time. It was a pleasant afternoon of entertainment on the mall.

But in the end, I was disappointed. It was also an afternoon of false equivalence, of civility fetishism, of nothing but a cry about the national tone, of a plea for moderation. And you can guess what I think of moderation.

A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Tom Paine

I don't want moderation, especially when the only people who will listen to Stewart and Colbert are the people on our shared side of the political aisle. I can understand where they're coming from; people like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin and Andrew Breitbart are poison, Fox News is a propaganda organ without bounds working for the far right-wing, we've got evangelical Christians demanding the installation of a theocracy, and on and on and on. But who, exactly, do Stewart and Colbert regard as the equivalent of Beck and Limbaugh on the left? Is it Rachel Maddow? Amy Goodman? Keith Olbermann?

Once again, we have someone bravely standing up and telling the people on their own side to stop being dicks, while being vague on the names and specifics.

So I'm at a loss about what we're supposed to do in the world according to Jon Stewart. Hey, all you people working for gay and lesbian equality, all you women asking for equal pay, all you workers trying to unionize, all you peaceniks trying to end the war in Afghanistan, all you nurses and doctors and clinic workers trying to maintain reproductive freedom and keep women alive, all you teachers trying to teach science and history without censorship, all you citizens trying to build a rational health care policy, all you scientists and doctors who want our country to progress in medical research, all you damned secularists who want to keep religion out of our schools and government, hey, hey, HEY, you! Tone it down. Quit making such a fuss. You're too loud. Shush. You're as crazy as the teabaggers if you think your principles are worth fighting for.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  15:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Probably not. PZ Myers summed it up like this:
The point was to tell all sides to tone it down. But only my side, the Stewart side, is listening!
But a lot of his commenters think he missed the real point, that the rally wasn't directed at the people, but at the mainstream media.

I'm sure Comedy Central will have the whole thing available for viewing sometime soon.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  15:41:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way to miss the point PZ Myers. What Stewart and Colbert were mainly satirizing and criticizing was Fox. Hell. The name of the rally was lifted from Glen Beck's name for his rally. It was an answer to Beck and Fox. And did he miss the part where Father Guido Sarducci couldn't get God to favor any particular faith, or non-faith for that matter? Who does Myers think that was aimed at? But then, maybe PZ Myers should have no problem with Fox News. They certainly aren't moderate and they are often dicks. Myers should actually appreciate their approach.

And then there is this. Stewart and Colbert go after Fox almost every night. Sheesh!!! But they also go after what they see wrong on other stations and also politicians of every stripe if they warrant it. They do political satire and comedy after all.

As for moderation in tone, what Stewart was talking about is that the media (Fox) should stop focusing on bullshit and making up news to further an agenda, and just report the fucking news. I guess Myers wanted them to actually yell out "Fox News!!!" Maybe Myers problem is he doesn't get subtlety in humor. Pity...

Really. Way to miss the point, Myers.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  15:45:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Probably not. PZ Myers summed it up like this:
The point was to tell all sides to tone it down. But only my side, the Stewart side, is listening!
But a lot of his commenters think he missed the real point, that the rally wasn't directed at the people, but at the mainstream media.

I'm sure Comedy Central will have the whole thing available for viewing sometime soon.
I was writing my post when you posted, Dave. Yes. Myers missed the point. I agree with "a lot of his commenters." Obviously.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  16:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least all the signs I saw which weren't in text-message shorthand were spelled correctly.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  16:12:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

At least all the signs I saw which weren't in text-message shorthand were spelled correctly.
Good thing I wasn't there. My spell checker has lead me down some very wrong paths.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  18:51:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Video of the whole event, including the warm-up, is here:

http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2010/10/30/HP/R/40153/Rally+to+Restore+Sanity+andor+Fear+Today+in+Washington.aspx

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  11:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keith Olbermann tweeted this about the Rally:

It wasn't a big shark but Jon Stewart jumped one just now with the "everybody on Thr [sic?] cable is the same" naiveté

I think that all the cable shows fall into the trap of hyperbole, the difference is in degree and intent. Fox News obviously intentionally uses provocative language as much as possible. Thoughts?

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  17:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jason Rosenhouse went to the rally, and saw nothing but the crowds.

There were a lot of people there. A lot more than the 60,000 on the permit.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  21:41:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

Keith Olbermann tweeted this about the Rally:

It wasn't a big shark but Jon Stewart jumped one just now with the "everybody on Thr [sic?] cable is the same" naiveté

I think that all the cable shows fall into the trap of hyperbole, the difference is in degree and intent. Fox News obviously intentionally uses provocative language as much as possible. Thoughts?

Stewart is right, but there is the matter of degree. All of them use hyperbole, but FAUX is the one that ignores facts and makes shit up. Olberman can go off the deep end sometimes, but he doesn't go as far as Becktard and others on FAUX, and he doesn't openly refute established facts. He still goes off the deep end though, even if his rants are fun to watch.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  00:33:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best signs:

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.