General Skepticism
 Teenager has a stroke?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  23:09:53  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How bloody often does this happen?

From the info on the side:

Like most people, Paul and I were not prepared for a major family crisis. I was laid off from my job in May and had just began attending college full time. Paul has a decent job but there is not a lot of room for saving money with the cost of living being what it is today. We have decent medical insurance but because Bailey required 3 ambulance rides, 2 emergency room visits and was actually admitted to 3 different hospitals prior to coming to Sister Kenny we have racked up a ton of "out of pocket" expenses. Had this just been one hospital stay we would have to just pay the "minimum per inpatient stay" to worry about but instead we get to start over every time.

They've got a paypal account to help out. Anyway, here's something else: Would an un-watered down health care bill have helped any?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 11/12/2010 03:33:18

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  02:08:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, "perfectly healthy" people don't have strokes. Something is missing there, some un-diagnosed problem, or something intentionally left out.

Second, it sucks to have a stroke, at any age.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  02:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

First, "perfectly healthy" people don't have strokes. Something is missing there, some un-diagnosed problem, or something intentionally left out.

Second, it sucks to have a stroke, at any age.

Yeah, it sucks. The problem is, many people who have strokes may seem -- to themselves and to laymen -- perfectly healthy, even if they have serious but symptomless conditions that can cause strokes. (How many people have their brains scanned as part of a regular check-up?)

I was under treatment for hypertension when I had my stroke. I had no idea that my BP had shot up in the couple of months since my last checkup had shown my BP was well under control. I should have been checking my own BP regularly, but had neglected to do so. (There's a lesson there, almost a "Darwin Award" lesson.)

My heart goes out to that teen. I believe, however, that the girl's brain, still growing, may recover more quickly and fully than that of an oldster with the same extent of stroke. (That's something I seem to recall learning, but that Dude, a professional, would know better.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  05:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a doctor) but as far as I know a stroke can occur two ways. One would be a blood clot clogging a vessel in the brain, and the other would be basically the opposite, bleeding into the brain. Clots I would usually associate with older people, but a low platelet count could account for the second scenario and that can occur in younger people. A couple of times in my life I have been afflicted with immune thrombocytopenia, a immune system condition that is more frequent in girls than any other group. My category, heterosexual males over the age of thirty are the lowest risk factor, so I beat the odds. And I didn't get a stroke, quick recognition and intervention helped I guess.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  20:14:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also not a doctor, Rat. My knowledge is purely that of a stroke consumer. I believe you are right about the two kinds of strokes. One stops blood flow (clot), the other fills part of the brain with blood (a hemorrhage, or bleed).

One thing that really bothers me is that the hospital where I was taken after my stroke failed to find out which kind I'd suffered. No clot was found, no bleed was discovered. So what should my doctors recommend, thinning my blood to prevent clots? If they do, might that not increase the chance of a bleed, if that had been one of the causes of the original stroke?

Either way, lowering my BP seems a good move. So are lipid control drugs, though these are costly. And gradually, over years, losing weight, which I've done. Though I'm receiving (expensive) blood thinners, I stopped taking a daily small aspirin after suggesting the idea to my doctor, who agreed that the cessation was a good idea.

But I'd still like to really know if the blood thinners I'm taking are a risk factor, or a benefit! I wonder, how many people are conscientiously taking blood thinners when they are really placing themselves at a higher risk of cerebral hemorrhage?

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  20:27:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are the two big reasons for a stroke, yes.

Half, if a brain scan revealed no bleed, and no clot, then the likely conclusion is a clot. The body responds to try and resolve those quickly, and when you present yourself in an ER with stroke symptoms they are probably giving you some TPA to break clots. By the time you get a brain scan done the actual clot can be gone.

Stick with the plavix or coumadin.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:11:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I shoulda bin a doctah! Sounds like the girl in question may be thrombocytopenic, if so I would prescribe 50mg per day of Prednisone to suppress the immune system. Frequent blood tests will establish if the platelet count is back to normal and stable, then after a few months the dosage can be gradually reduced. If the platelet count drops again then I would perform a splenectomy. Yes, I have been through this myself.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  23:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Stick with the plavix or coumadin.
Thanks, I have, but now I'm not worrying.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.