Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  16:15:37  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link
TOPEKA, Kan. -- A controversial Kansas church is changing its protest plan after an incident in Oklahoma last week.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church said they want revenge after someone slashed the tires on their van during visit to protest a military funeral in McAlester. The group said it plans to now target funerals for Oklahoma children.

Having been in the same fix once, I think that the tire-slashing was way out of line. Spit in their faces if you must, but don't vandalize their property. That makes you almost as foul a scumbag as they. But now, they just killed the slight sympathy I felt for them.

This thing is going to escalate until someone gets killed.

[Moved to the Religion folder - Dave W.]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  18:41:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Spit in their faces if you must...
Even that is assault, which is legally actionable and totally unnecessary.

Anyone who can't stand what the WBC does only needs to sit back and let them picket a funeral to gain the moral high ground. The tire slashing ruined that. The refusal of shop owners to sell them new tires didn't help, either.

If they've outright stated that they want "revenge" for those stupid, short-sighted acts, and that they're willing to take that revenge out on people who've lost children, they once again cede the high ground without anyone having to lift a finger. They could have kept it by doing nothing more than whining about how the police won't help them and stating that God will judge the perpetrator, but it seems they couldn't hide their true colors.

All that's really needed to marginalize them further is about 30 sheets of 4x8' plywood with mounted handles, and a team of trained and dedicated people to create a movable wall between the Phelps clan and any funeral they might approach. Paint the plywood nicely, and write supportive, sympathetic messages on the side to face the funerals, and on the other, in huge letters, write only "THEY CAN'T SEE YOU."

News items about the Phelps' will quickly turn into news items about the wall, robbing the WBC of that which it desires the most.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  02:44:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phelps must want WBC martyrs, if he's threatening to picket the funerals of kids. And Okies tend to pack heat. They have to, living as they do next to Texas.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  23:57:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would somebody please think of the children? No, Phelps, not in that way!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  01:10:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The WBC's intent is to provoke, and they won't mind if they provoke a violent response. Remember how many of them are lawyers! They want the publicity.

I like Dave_W's idea of how to respond to them. Except I'd paint "GOD HATES THE WBC" and several less nice things on the side poiting towards these retards. Maybe a few quotes from his estranged children about how he abused them.

I am actually amazed at the level of restraint people everywhere have exercised towards these assholes, but if they start picketing children's funerals.... that may be a bridge too far.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  21:33:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the logic of picketing the funerals of children? They at least have some reasoning (albeit silly) for protesting military funerals.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  02:21:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only children would be irresponsible/childish enough to slash the tires?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  14:12:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

What's the logic of picketing the funerals of children? They at least have some reasoning (albeit silly) for protesting military funerals.

"Reason" is not a word that can be associated with the Phelps Klan.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  14:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I'm among a bunch of pacifists here but really, violence may be the only answer.

I would have no problem if these motherfuckers had their asses beat and handed back to them.

Maybe the stupid can be beat out of them.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  14:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Ebone, I would assume that they got the way they are now by being dropped on their heads.

Two concussions doesn't make for sanity.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  14:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, a bunch of these retards are lawyers. You beat one down and they will put you in a civil courtroom for years.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  14:50:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Also, a bunch of these retards are lawyers. You beat one down and they will put you in a civil courtroom for years.

I'm sure a way could be found around that.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  20:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that the tiniest trace of forensic evidence, or a wittness, could put you away for a long time.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  00:01:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not have some guys dressed up as the devil stand next to the Phelps' saying how much they love their protests?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  04:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

You've got that right. And they win.
Dead Marine's father ordered to pay protesters' legal costs

March 30, 2010|By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

A member of the Westboro Baptist Church protests outside a VA hospital in Maywood, Illinois, in 2006.The father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church says an order to pay the protesters' legal costs in a civil claim is nothing less than a "slap in the face."

"By the court making this decision, they're not only telling me that they're taking their side, but I have to pay them money to do this to more soldiers and their families," said Albert Snyder, whose son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in action in Iraq in 2006.

These people are vindictive scumbags who want to get people into court; doesn't matter who. And they are careful not to have an infraction themselves. Assault & battery might seem like a good idea at the time but the legal repercussions are severe.

Margie Phelps, the daughter of Fred Phelps and the attorney representing the church in its appeals, also said the money that the church receives from Snyder will be used to finance demonstrations. But she also said that the order was a consequence of his decision to sue the church over the demonstration.

"Mr. Snyder and his attorneys have engaged the legal system; there are some rules to that legal engagement," said Phelps, a member of Westboro who says she has participated in more than 150 protests of military funerals.

"They wanted to shut down the picketing so now they're going to finance it," she said.

But this skank almost makes it worthwhile.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  22:46:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Supreme Court issued its ruling on Synder's case today. As is constitutionally correct, picketing funerals was found to be speech protected by the First Amendment, no matter how reprehensible it might be.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.