Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  04:54:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by filthy
Nope, not a member. It must be magic, eh?

Actually, the link to Ham's page was in PZ's post. Not as good as magic, but a lot more likely.

How strange. Because you have to sign in or not sign out to view a page on facebook. Even your own page.

Hmm, Then we must conclude that this is magic after all. What other choice is there?

Okay. I'm cool with that...

Upon reflection:

What might have happened -- some of you computer nerds who actually know how this stuff works correct me if this is impossible -- is that PZ took out a membership at Ham's page, opened it, then didn't sign off and posted the link. Pretty damn' sneaky, if you ask me. I like it.

Yeah, Doc, Ham's page is little more than the usual YEC pap but it's of at least passing interest to view it. Especially if you ain't supposed to. Forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest, is it not so?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  07:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AiG's News to Note. I usually give these things their own thread but this one starts its first story off with MSNBC crowing from the basements about Ham's latest insult to the intellect. Well, I suppose it's news, of sorts, to somebody.

"1. MSNBC: “Northern Kentucky Lands Noah’s Ark Park”

In case you haven’t heard, Answers in Genesis is partnering with Ark Encounter LLC to build what might be called the Creation Museum’s sibling: a $150 million Noah’s Ark-themed experience also to be located in northern Kentucky.

Ark Encounter will be a totally unique theme park centered on a full-size Ark, built to the dimensions commanded of Noah in Genesis 6. But beyond the Ark, the park will feature a Tower of Babel area, an aviary, and much more.

Scheduled to open in 2014, Ark Encounter is a $150 million project that will be jointly funded by for-profit Ark Encounter LLC and non-profit Answers in Genesis. The latter, which is parent to both News to Note and the Creation Museum, will raise approximately $25 million of the total through donations. Additionally, the park may receive appropriate state tax incentives offered through Kentucky’s Tourism Development Act given that the construction and operation will bring thousands of jobs, directly and indirectly, as well as tourist dollars to the local economy.

Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear helped unveil plans for the park on Wednesday, saying, “We are excited to join with the Ark Encounter group as it seeks to provide this unique, family friendly tourist attraction to the Commonwealth. Bringing new jobs to Kentucky is my top priority, and with the estimated 900 jobs this project will create, I am happy about the economic impact this project will have on the Northern Kentucky region.”

Answers in Genesis will run the park when it becomes operational, with the success of the Creation Museum part of the motivation for Ark Encounter. “We are very pleased to be a part of this new project,” said Answers in Genesis President Ken Ham. “AiG has been blessed to see the Creation Museum host over one million guests in three years. Based on our experience and success operating the large, state-of-the-art Creation Museum, our board believes the time is right to partner with the Ark Encounter in building a full-scale Noah's Ark. We hope that this fun and educational complex called the Ark Encounter will become another popular tourist destination for the state.”

The announcement unsurprisingly launched a wave of media coverage—as well as criticism from many of the same individuals who opposed the construction of the Creation Museum. The coverage will become even wider this weekend, as the New York Times and the Times of London prepare to print their Ark Encounter stories.

News to Note will provide ongoing coverage of the project when appropriate, but for a wealth of information on the project—including images of the planned layout for the site, answers to frequently asked questions, video of the announcement, a blog devoted to the project, and information on how to donate—visit the official Ark Encounter website at ArkEncounter.com."

Gotta have that donation info. Can't leave without it or Baby Jesus will cry.

Sometime today, I'll visit ArkEncounter to see how the evangelical-for-profit liars work it.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  11:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy:
What might have happened -- some of you computer nerds who actually know how this stuff works correct me if this is impossible -- is that PZ took out a membership at Ham's page, opened it, then didn't sign off and posted the link. Pretty damn' sneaky, if you ask me. I like it.

I doubt that would work. I never sign out, but when I use a different browser than Safari, I still have to sign in. Cookies is the reason for that, I'm sure. I don't know what he did. I'll bet Dave could explain it, but Dave is on a sabbatical from posting at this time. Maybe someone else would like to explain it? Mab might know how Myers did it...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  16:17:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, filthy, not everyone at MSNBC is crowing about this. See the two links I posted earlier.

Added link for ease of navigation.

Kil

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  10:24:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Maybe someone else would like to explain it? Mab might know how Myers did it...

I tried it on my computer where I never log in to Facebook.
Just typed the address, http://www.facebook.com/aigkenham and then hit enter.
The top of the page is asking me to log in, but under the Face-book logo is the standard Ken Ham homepage. An ugly picture of him on the left, and below a minimum of information, then "3733 persons like this"
In the middle of the page the menu Logg, Information, Blog, Photos, Links, Note.
Under that the standard status messages with comments and such.

There shouldn't be a need to be logged in, or even having a facebook page.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  06:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I paid a visit to Ark Encounter and it turned out to be more interesting than I'd thought it might be. It's also pretty ambitious -- wanna help out and buy a peg?
A Dove’s-Eye View of the Ark Encounter

Posted on December 1, 2010 by admin

The Ark Encounter, to be located south of Cincinnati and in northern Kentucky, has nine main attractions and encompasses about 800 acres, which allows for both privacy and future expansion. The unique nature of the site with its scenic hills and ravines enables the design team to create a varied and dynamic guest experience. The Ark Encounter promises to be a unique and influential attraction for the world.

The historical experience is composed of nine major themed areas:

I won't cover all nine of 'em; for that you'll have to open the link. But the "Walled City" is worth a gander.
•The Walled City: This 14-acre area depicts the lifestyle of the people of Noah’s day. It also serves as the entry point to the facility for all guests and becomes its central gathering point. This walled city includes period shops, restaurants, and venues that bring to life the city and times in which Noah lived, including his house. The city is the first themed area that guests will experience as it introduces the Ark and the Flood. It asks and answers the question, “Why the Ark?”

Why indeed?

This will not be anything like an accurate recreation. That would not sit well with the paying customers. There would be objections to the city's midden and complaints about the unwashed staff. Not to mention the 1st century restaurants (restaurants?) where cooking is mostly done open hearth and sand is in everything.

But no matter; it's gonna be a highly lucrative tourist trap because they will have all but a captive audience flowing through the "City Gates." Don't believe it -- check out the comments at the bottom of the article.

And I wonder about the building of the Ark itself. In order to get it put together by Spring of '14, they will have to abandon first century building techniques and break out the power tools. I've seen craftsmen use bow drills; they work very well, actually, but are slow. And let us not forget, this is supposed Bronze Age construction. Iron and steel were rare commodities.

I will be willing to bet that the lifting devices used will be built by someone like Pettibone, and Caterpillar will level the land.

But no matter; I'm just pickin' nits, here. These guys are no worse a bunch of hucksters than Disney and the rest of the theme park operators. Your credit card is their main objective.

I think they will do quite well with it, if it all goes down as planned.

Let us not forget, though, that a load of crap in a golden chamber pot is still just another load of crap in a pot.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/07/2010 06:30:16
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  05:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it take 10,000 pages for a study on the feasibility of constructing a large, wooden blight on the KY landscape? Of course it does and it's really great if you don't have to actually show it to anyone. Better still; you don't even have to bother to write the fucker 'cause no body's gonna see it anyway.
BOMBSHELL: Beshear never saw Ark feasibility study (UPDATE x2)

Linda Blackford just won herself a Rootie, I'll tell you that. Not only is she the first non-columnist/blogger/TV host to mention the fact that dinosaurs will be on the Ark, she solves the mystery that myself and many others have been wondering about the "feasibility study" conducted by Ken Ham's fundamentalist buddy Britt Beemer (Beemer was a pioneer in homophobic campaign tactics back in the 70's).

Despite Beshear's previous claim that he's seen the study, neither he or any other state worker has seen it.

When Gov. Steve Beshear held a Capitol news conference to announce potential state tax incentives for an amusement park built around a life-size Noah's Ark earlier this month, he cited a feasibility study that predicted the park would attract 1.6 million visitors in its first year.

However, neither Beshear nor other state officials had seen or read the study, which was commissioned by Ark Encounter, LLC, the group building the theme park.

The state doesn't have a copy of the report, according to responses to requests under the Open Records Act sent by the Herald-Leader to the state tourism and economic development departments and to the governor's office.

Officials with Ark Encounter also declined to give the Herald-Leader a copy of the 10,000-page report, including its 200-page executive summary.

That's right. Steve Beshear lied to the Courier Journal. They've never seen it, and Ken Ham isn't letting anyone see "it" either. Assuming that "it" exists, of course.

The "ten thousand page" claim woke my bullshit detector up. It didn't actually go off because politicians and preachers habitually make things a lot more complicated than need be, and such a mighty screed could indeed exist. But damn, that's a lot of pages -- that's pages, not words -- for, really, not very much. They ain't even gonna have them a roller coaster, and it takes an endless amount of ink to say so? I rather think not. I rather think that a deal has been struck in the proverbial "smoke-filled back room" and Gov. Beshear is merely a step on the ladder to a large pile of cash, some of which might stick to him.

My bullshit detector is now humming happily along as we wait for the next installment of this Appalachian farce.

Found the link at PZ's place, and sorry, but I don't know what a "Rootie" is, either. But congrats to Linda for earning one, anyway.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds.