Nigeria to charge Cheney in bribery case
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  17:00:32  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nigeria to Charge Dick Cheney in Pipeline Bribery Case

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Nigeria will file charges against former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney and officials from five foreign companies including Halliburton Co. over a $180 million bribery scandal, a prosecutor at the anti-graft agency said.

Indictments will be lodged in a Nigerian court “in the next three days,” Godwin Obla, prosecuting counsel at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, said in an interview today at his office in Abuja, the capital. An arrest warrant for Cheney “will be issued and transmitted through Interpol,” the world’s biggest international police organization, he said.

Peter Long, Cheney’s spokesman, said he couldn’t immediately comment when contacted today and said he would respond later to an e-mailed request for comment.

Obla said charges will be filed against current and former chief executive officers of Halliburton, including Cheney, who was CEO from 1995 to 2000, and its former unit KBR Inc., based in Houston, Texas; Technip SA, Europe’s second-largest oilfield- services provider; Eni SpA, Italy’s biggest oil company; and Saipem Construction Co., a unit of Eni. Obla didn’t identify the former officials whom he said held office when the alleged bribes were paid.

Last week, Nigeria arrested at least 23 officials from companies including Halliburton, Saipem, Technip and a former subsidiary of Panalpina Welttransport Holding AG in connection with alleged illegal payments to Nigerian officials. Those detained were all freed on bail on Nov. 29…

Guess Cheney won't be going to Nigeria for a while...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  17:28:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheney is unlikely to live another year unless he can buy himself a human heart to replace his cyborg heart (Darth Cheney jokes aside, he actually does have a robot heart. ventricular assist device, which is actually pretty freakin cool tech)

So he will never see a Nigerian court room unless he is dumb enough to travel to a country with an extradition treaty with Nigeria.

It's also interesting that when the US DOJ was investigating this alleged crime he was VP and his lackeys were in charge of the DOJ.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  06:29:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as it pains me to say this (Cheney should definitely face the music somehow), how can it be taken seriously when it comes from a country where people can be stoned to death for minor transgressions? Nigeria is a human rights hell-hole that has no legitimacy when it comes to issues of legality or morality.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  08:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that capital punishment is barbaric.

Still, the image in my mind of Cheney getting stoned warms my heart. Does that make me an evil person?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

As much as it pains me to say this (Cheney should definitely face the music somehow), how can it be taken seriously when it comes from a country where people can be stoned to death for minor transgressions? Nigeria is a human rights hell-hole that has no legitimacy when it comes to issues of legality or morality.

Depends what part of the country (Nigeria) you are in. Only some of their states impose muslim sharia laws. The federal system there is closer to ours in terms of the justice system.

Still, we shouldn't be sending people to them for trial/punishment. Not until they are up to the standards of western democratic justice systems.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  16:37:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude
Depends what part of the country (Nigeria) you are in. Only some of their states impose muslim sharia laws. The federal system there is closer to ours in terms of the justice system.

If the federal government allows such things then I count the whole country as a hell-hole. If Rhode Island began to allow stoning for adultery I would blame Washington for allowing them that much freedom.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  18:42:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Originally posted by Dude

If the federal government allows such things then I count the whole country as a hell-hole. If Rhode Island began to allow stoning for adultery I would blame Washington for allowing them that much freedom.

Yeah. They don't have the same strong federal government we do. They are a good example of what would actually happen here if our states ever won the "state's rights" argument. Which is why, as much as I dislike Cheney, I would argue against any attempt (not that there ever will be one) to extradite him to nigeria. We shouldn't lend them that degree of credibility until they get their shit together.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.