Sometimes you just have to shake your head
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  06:31:56  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If this news report is true then there’s no hope for this world. The hockey game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens on Saturday was broadcast in 3D. Apparently a group of people(?) turned up wearing 3D glasses, and then quite seriously complained to staff that things didn't look any different. If true then I wouldn't even let them be blood donors, that level of stupidity is probably contagious.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  08:02:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

If this news report is true then there’s no hope for this world. The hockey game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens on Saturday was broadcast in 3D. Apparently a group of people(?) turned up wearing 3D glasses, and then quite seriously complained to staff that things didn't look any different. If true then I wouldn't even let them be blood donors, that level of stupidity is probably contagious.

They used to advertise those things in the back of funny books so's little boys could see little the girl's panties without asking first. It looks like they still do, or at least their customers, older now, are still hopefully looking for it. They didn't work then and evidently haven't improved much since.

You are at least half correct; the world might not be doomed, but I suspect that the species is. We're really too stupid to survive much longer.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  18:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

If this news report is true then there’s no hope for this world.

Without a source, it's really hard to estimate the truth-value of the news-piece. I just have to reserve my judgment.

It would be a funny story though. If it was true.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  20:40:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Without a source, it's really hard to estimate the truth-value of the news-piece. I just have to reserve my judgment.

It would be a funny story though. If it was true.

I heard it on our local 'all news' radio station, and there have been similar reports on others. Embarrassed as I am to admit this, it appears that some of my fellow Canadians are capable of grosser acts of stupidity than I ever could have imagine.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  21:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Embarrassed as I am to admit this, it appears that some of my fellow Canadians are capable of grosser acts of stupidity than I ever could have imagine.

Ooooh, yeeees! I present the following loads (plural, going back for years) by Canadian Gunner who lives on the Northeast side of Vancouver Island. Soon you'll find choice quotes that'll make you choke on whatever you're currently trying to drink or eat...

https://thorgolucky.com/forum/search.php?search_author=Gunner
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  22:59:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
They used to advertise those things in the back of funny books so's little boys could see little the girl's panties without asking first.
Those were X-ray specs.

Which were still a rip-off because all they did was created a double-image, allowing the wearer to see the "bones" in a person's hand like this:

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/13/2010 23:00:18
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  04:22:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know. I was just wondering if someone would point that out. But as far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing. Neither is/was worth the fifty cents or so they cost.

I'm old enough to recall the first 3-d flicks. The best one that I remember was a Three Stooges short that brought bloodless mayhem into the audience. All good fun, but like Cinemascope, 3-d went out of style soon enough. It will again, if it fails to make a simple hockey game look different (or highlight lady's unmentionables).

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/14/2010 04:41:48
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  08:56:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, I know. I was just wondering if someone would point that out. But as far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing. Neither is/was worth the fifty cents or so they cost.

I'm old enough to recall the first 3-d flicks. The best one that I remember was a Three Stooges short that brought bloodless mayhem into the audience. All good fun, but like Cinemascope, 3-d went out of style soon enough. It will again, if it fails to make a simple hockey game look different (or highlight lady's unmentionables).

I'm not so sure. After all, they are now making 3D televisions. And the 3D in the movies today is far and away superior to those from when I was a kid. What was once a novelty is starting to become commonplace. Also, I think IMAX has its roots in the old Cinerama format. (Cinemascope or wide screen is still very much with us.)

But filthy. I think you have missed The Rat's concern for his fellow Canadians. They weren't using the glasses to watch a 3D broadcast. They went to the actual game and put on the glasses to see the game in 3D. I guess no one told them that we humans already see the real world in 3D, unlike the world we see in photos, on television and in movies where the "effect" must be artificially produced.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  09:11:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I'm not so sure. After all, they are now making 3D televisions. And the 3D in the movies today is far and away superior to those from when I was a kid. What was once a novelty is starting to become commonplace. Also, I think IMAX has its roots in the old Cinerama format. (Cinemascope or wide screen is still very much with us.)

But filthy. I think you have missed The Rat's concern for his fellow Canadians. They weren't using the glasses to watch a 3D broadcast. They went to the actual game and put on the glasses to see the game in 3D. I guess no one told them that we humans already see the real world in 3D, unlike the world we see in photos, on television and in movies where the "effect" must be artificially produced.
Oh no, I picked up on that right away. I was just having a little fun with it.

Consider yourself Poe'd

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  09:54:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no, I picked up on that right away. I was just having a little fun with it.

Consider yourself Poe'd

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  19:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I posted this on some other boards I hang out on, and it seems that the stupid is spreading. One reply I got stated that they had recently attended a showing of Avatar 3D, and heard someone coming out of the theatre saying that it was awesome and they wished the world was in 3D. I would have lost my patience at that point. The offending nitwit would have been grabbed very roughly, pulled as close to my face as possible, and I would have bellowed straight down their throat "THE WORLD IS IN 4D YOU BRAIN-DEAD MORON, WHY DO YOU WANT TO TAKE ONE AWAY?!?!?!"

Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  20:57:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which reminds me....

http://comics.com/jump_start/2010-12-13/

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.