Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year? Bah Humbug!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  08:47:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I keep hearing the radio telling me that right now is the most wonderful time of the year. They are full of shit.

How can working 10-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week be wonderful?

How can 12-15 inches of snow which must be removed before working 10-12 hours a day be wonderful?

How can waking up to -11 to -15f temperatures be wonderful?

How can trying to find time to shop and spend all kinds of money on a bunch of crap for other people that they probably don't really want anyway be wonderful?

I am very skeptical about this whole " Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" theory. The way I see it is that the most wonderful time of the year comes in February when I get to go on vacation.

Thanks for reading my whine.

Well, guess what news we just got this morning: Our company has to cut costs by 10% this coming year. One can only guess what's going to come of that. I've no experience in shit like this. Just how bad is that?

You are right Ig. I should not be whining about having too much work when so many people out there are lacking it.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  10:19:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, guess what news we just got this morning: Our company has to cut costs by 10% this coming year. One can only guess what's going to come of that. I've no experience in shit like this. Just how bad is that?
It depends on the company, and I won't pretend to know how things work. But where I work-- a massive state university in southern California-- they've done a lot to "cut costs" without cutting jobs. Even if people take not insignificant (ca. 8%) pay cuts and/or furloughs. Assuming the state can whether the storm through the next year or so (?), things might return to "normal" here...

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  07:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This December/winter was starting like so many before and my expectation were no different. I may even have been just coasting along prior to next weeks break to visit family. That changed on Monday when I received a frantic call from my wife that she had just been robbed. She was the victim of a bump and run purse snatching. Other than the anger, sense of violation and a little self blame, she is fine and didn't even receive a bruise.

Working our way through the purse contents I discovered that cancelling a Visa card takes longer than it does to cancel other cards. They asked too many question for "their report" and I told him that his script contained too many question and refused to answer a couple.

Now, it looks like I am back to coasting again.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  08:20:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I keep hearing the radio telling me that right now is the most wonderful time of the year. They are full of shit.

How can working 10-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week be wonderful?

How can 12-15 inches of snow which must be removed before working 10-12 hours a day be wonderful?

How can waking up to -11 to -15f temperatures be wonderful?

How can trying to find time to shop and spend all kinds of money on a bunch of crap for other people that they probably don't really want anyway be wonderful?

I am very skeptical about this whole " Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" theory. The way I see it is that the most wonderful time of the year comes in February when I get to go on vacation.

Thanks for reading my whine.

You are right Ig. I should not be whining about having too much work when so many people out there are lacking it.

Actually, I wasn't giving you heck or anything, I was just asking. I had accidentally used the "quote" function instead of the plain old "reply" function when I posted.

I never looked back on my reply, otherwise I'd have changed it.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 12/22/2010 08:20:57
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  12:15:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Now that I'm both a parent and a babysitter I'm watching all these "Christmas" specials for children with a new perspective and I'm totally fascinated with the implications it has for the possible future of Christianity. It is abundantly clear to me that as far as mainstream culture goes, Christmas has about as much to do with the celebration of Jesus's birth as Valentine's Day has to do with St. Valentine's martyrdom. The term "Christmas" is used, as are various rituals and imagery associated with modern celebrations of "Christmas", and yet Jesus or anything particular to the Christian faith is rarely mentioned. For instance, today I watched "Yo Gabba Gabba"'s Christmas special with the kiddos, and at some point they were decorating the tree with generic Christmas balls and garland and such - totally secular. But then they made a point of putting a star at the top - which I've always assumed to be a pretty clear Christian symbol right out of the Gospels. And yet when one of the characters asked "Why are we decorating a tree?" the answer is "Because it's Christmas time!"

Not sure whether I should delight in the watering down of the religious meaning to the point of meaninglessness, or lament peoples' ignorance. Or is it avoidance instead of ignorance? Will the generation coming up even realize what the star at the top of the tree is referring to? Do most people of my generation know? I watched the play "The Last Night at Ballyhoo" about a week ago, about a well-to-do Jewish family living in the American South just before WWII, and it opened with one of the daughters bringing home a star for their tree, and her mother scolding her with, "Jewish Christmas trees don't have stars!"

Merry X-mas, everybody - and I ain't just being lazy about the spelling!
I grew up in a non religious family and we celebrated Christmas every year just as I do now as a Christian. The holiday has been a secular holiday for awhile in my opinion. My family separates the secular holiday with any religious meaning of the holiday. We don’t really do anything different on Christmas as far as any religious observance but we do put up a tree, decorate, see Santa, exchange gifts and put lights on our house because we enjoy it and we did these things a kid and have fond memories of them and I think our children will also.

I don’t think that remembering the birth of Jesus and reflecting on why he came to earth is a bad thing, but it should be remembered throughout the year as well.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.