Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  05:45:13  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because I find this very humorous dosen't mean that it should go in Humor.
Here’s something we appreciate the Associated Press covering, in the interest of humanity: “Exley is part of a movement of Christians loosely organized by radio broadcasts and websites, independent of churches and convinced by their reading of the Bible that the end of the world will begin May 21, 2011.” Well, there you have it! Those heathen Mayans, whom God refused to educate about His existence, thought they could pull a fast one on history’s winningest religion, but they can’t! While Mayans lounge around, satisfied with their armageddon, getting drunk on llama wine and eating aloe steaks, the Protestant Work Ethic has overcome. Let’s have a look at this new, improved, even more impending end-of-days!

I dunno; maybe Humor is the best place for it, after all.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/05/2011 05:46:31

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  07:45:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One day after my birthday. I guess I should thank the Big Guy for allowing me one more alcohol soaked day of debauchery before I go.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  08:55:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Previously, he said 1994 was to be the end of the world.

http://www.bibleandscience.com/otherviews/camping.htm

I can't find anyplace where Harold explains his reasoning. I would like to hear what he says about Matthew 24:

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. 36 The Day and Hour Unknown “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father."

“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. 45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

He seems to know something Jesus does not.

Is this just to get attention, money or is he just plain crazy?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harold Camping will be wrong, just like William Miller was wrong, just like Matthew 24 was wrong. Matthew 24 had Jesus talking to his deciples in response to a question. Quite literally describing what would happen within their days. But... we also know that Matthew was not written until 70-80 CE. So what was the authors intent for Matthew 24 when it was already clear at the time of the writing that most if not all of the disciples were already dead. In my opinion, just like with Nostrodamus, the best we can do with prophecy is to predict the past. Which the author of Matthew did a lot of in his book. So no, I do not believe that Camping will be right, just like Miller and the author of Matthew.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  13:51:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb
He seems to know something Jesus does not.
That seems a bit presumptions, does it not?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  14:16:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an explaination of where he gets his date:

http://www.the-latter-rain.com/end-times.html

It seems that Satan was let loose in 1988. It all makes sense now.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  14:17:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it when a specific date is given so we can point and laugh as it passes by without catastrophe.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  16:37:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I love it when a specific date is given so we can point and laugh as it passes by without catastrophe.

But I think they've already hedged their bets on that score. I seem to recall that some have said that if the date comes and goes and they don't get raptured, it means that they were simply not called, not that it didn't happen. So, I guess if nobody in the world disappears it means it happened, but none of us were worthy. They'll rationalise their way out of it somehow, and I guarantee that none of them will doubt their faith.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  18:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, it's just another in a long and inglorius list of asinine predictions made by whackaloons. Do open the link and check it out. It's an historical gas!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  18:28:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Eh, it's just another in a long and inglorius list of asinine predictions made by whackaloons. Do open the link and check it out. It's an historical gas!

I enjoyed the site, thanks filthy.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  19:05:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

He has a way with words.
999 CE - As anyone who is anyone knows, this particular date was a grand doozy of apocalyptic wankership ...

edited to add: Holy crap! and this...
1868 CE - The Reverend M. Baxter of the Church of England had more than a few screws rolling about wild and free. In brief, he was a paranoid, French-detesting, anti-papist, anti-Semitic, apocalyptic, devil-phobic, sin-hysteric, hypergraphic, ranting wad of wankery. ...

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 01/05/2011 20:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  21:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is another list of end time predictions.

http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm

Go to Top of Page

Azrael

13 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  14:49:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Azrael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They would sell their very soul to see us all die in a flaming heap!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  16:00:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Douglas Adams (The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy), I too am fond of hard deadlines. "I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Azrael

13 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  21:38:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Azrael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine 90% of the Conspiracy theory and Bible believers are stocking the bomb shelters right about now.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  08:43:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here we are Oct 21 and Harold has disappeared, gone into hiding again, to avoid the zero number of people who should be piss that they bought into his Bible bullshit second coming. I don't know why he's hiding. Only the most feeble minded half wits could have possibly been gullible enough to believe his crock of crap AGAIN. We been through this so many times hopefully some people out there who get sucked into this every time should be getting a clue but that's no guarantee. As the song says, popularized in the 60' by Peter ,Paul & Mary, "Where Have All The Soldiers Gone" , "Oh when will they, ever learn". One answer few filled in is for way to many, "never". SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.