Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  08:53:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...it's as easy as connecting the dots really. All news was funneled through network news and/or printed paper and the world was calm and peaceful. Then Turner launches his cable news network, which servers as a precursor for the Fox and MSNBC networks, among others, which server as precursors for the Hanity, Olberman, Beck and Maddow's of the world. And now we have the situation in Arizona. Clearly Turner opened up a can of worms by launching his network. And then by the time you figure in the affects that A.G.C.C. have had on this poor man the results we see in Arizona now look more like a logical conclusion.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:09:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Sure the right has Rush to sooth them for 3 hours a day but then you have Air America on the converse and so each cancels out the other.
Does anyone listen to Air America anymore? No, because they ceased live programming a year ago and are in chapter 7 bankruptcy.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:22:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Sure the right has Rush to sooth them for 3 hours a day but then you have Air America on the converse and so each cancels out the other.
Does anyone listen to Air America anymore? No, because they ceased live programming a year ago and are in chapter 7 bankruptcy.

That's capitalism and the free market for ya. Demand can be turned into profits and no demand usually equals no profits. Just as it should be.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:26:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how come when a Muslim guns down 14 people at Food Hood Texas in the name of Jihad the liberals get up and walk off the tv set if someone says a Muslim killed 14 people at Fort Hood Texas, yet at the same time when a "atheistic left wing pothead" kills people in Arizona the nut jobs on the left somehow try to say that this is a right wing conservative and a typical one at that? As usual you know they are talking when you see their a-hole moving.

The libs kick and scream that we can't stereotype all Muslims because of the actions of one crazed extremist but yet based on the actions of one crazed extremist "left wing pothead" the libs stereotype all of those who identify themselves as right leaning conservatives. Hmm...

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:32:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just read that Loughner is registered as a Republican, despite near hysterical claims that he is an Independant. I have seen no evidence that he is an atheist, though. I'd like to see a citation for that.

Bill, the good, old days of honest reporting have gone out with the tide. There are a few backwaters of integerty extant, but they are mostly on line. These days, it's all about personality and mining whatever that will bring in the ratings -- and the accompanying ad money. This shows the abysmal state to which the national media of our country has decended to.

I don't listen to AM radio. I consider it all media for idiots.

Edited to fix link. And speling.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/11/2011 09:47:16
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:38:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need to update your pharyngula link, filthy.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:51:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

You need to update your pharyngula link, filthy.

Already did. Gimmie a break; these damned cataracts have me close to blind and the VA is pretty backed up. Hope to have surgery soon.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  10:45:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I have just read that Loughner is registered as a Republican, despite near hysterical claims that he is an Independant.

The article I read quoted his fellow classmates as describing him as a "left wing pothead" but I won't hold that against all left wing potheads. I linked to it from yahoo.

I have seen no evidence that he is an atheists, though. I'd like to see a citation for that.

In the lunatics ramblings it is rather clear that he is agnostic at best and atheistic at worse, but I won't hold that against all atheists and agnostics.

Bill, the good, old days of honest reporting have gone out with the tides. There are a few backwaters of integerty extant, but they are mostly on line. These days, it's all about personality and mining whatever that will bring in the ratings -- and the accompanying ad money.

Was there ever such days? Walter Cronkite could spin with the best of them. Now typically those who agree with Walter's political views tend to think he was more of an honest reporter than those who did not, but that applies to just about all media personality across the board. And it's typically been my findings that when many say "the good old days of honest reporting have gone out with the tides" what they really mean is that they miss the good ole' days when the left leaning Walter Cronkite's and Dan Rather's of the world ruled the air waves and right leaning conservative media outlets were virtually non-existent.

This shows the abysmal state to which the national media of our country had decended to.

Maybe, but to say "this only applies to the other side of the isle and not to mine" merely proves one to be the biggest part of the problem they are ranting against. And as if lunatics who open fire on innocent people and then offer some rambling manifesto are new to the scene with the advent of cable news...

I don't listen to AJM radio. I consider it all media for idiots.

Oh come on, ESPN radio is some fine media, along with many others. Don't stereotype all of AM radio over one right wing extremist.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  10:57:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Actually, no, I have yet to see a direct link. But this incident has sparked a debate over the incendiary rhetoric coming from conservative corners, and I see that as a good thing. So let me ask you something, Robb. Even if we can all admit that this shooting had nothing to do with Sarah Palin marking the names of her political enemies with crosshairs, can you still condemn her for it? If not, then don't talk to me about integrity.

I have already said Sarah Palin should not have put the crosshairs on her website. But don’t pretend that conservatives are much more likely to use violent language. It’s on both sides. Look at this:

http://www.verumserum.com/?p=13647

Do you really think that a reasonable person looking at targets or gun sites on a map will lead them to murder? I don’t think you believe that. So what’s the problem? The problem is you don’t like her political views. All of these left wing talk shows and politicians are just plain hypocritical. I have shown and can show many more examples of left wingers using violent language. From bill Mahr calling for Dick Cheney to be murdered to Craig Kilborn putting up sniper wanted ads on the air in reference to President Bush. The left are hypocrites and are using the killings for political gain and nothing more. So if we are going to have a discussion lets include both sides please.

By the way, I think Nancy Pelosi is as disliked from the right as Sarah Palin is from the left. My question to you is, why do we know so much about Sarah Palin and her family and we know nothing about Nancy Pelosi’s family? It’s because right wing talk shows and media do not go after Pelosi’s family but her positions. The left wing media and left wing talk shows go after her and smear her family for good measure. We knew much more about Palins past than we did about President Obama’s past during the election.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  11:08:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Nothing yet on a possible motive of the shooter, who used an automatic weapon, but the media has already begun to draw a link to Sarah Palin's "Don't retreat...reload" campaign.

Ah huh, because the SHOOTER used, of all things, a gun that is enough for the "media" to link the killings to Sarah Palin? So when Abdul shoots 14 people with a gun at Fort Hood he was immediately linked to Palin as well, right? And since all right wing leaning conservatives can be stereotyped by the actions of one crazed "atheistic left wing pothead" than all Muslims can, of course, be stereotyped by the actions of one crazed Muslim, just as all left wing liberals can be sterotyped by your nearly chocking to death on your own ramblings and dogma, right? Say yes.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  11:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's capitalism and the free market for ya. Demand can be turned into profits and no demand usually equals no profits. Just as it should be.
The point was that your idea that there's a big lefty network like Air America to "cancel out" Rush Limbaugh is a laugh.

As is your idea that anyone is stereotyping conservatives as murderous lunatics. While the right certainly has cranked up the violent rhetoric over the last decade, that only makes them blowhards.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  12:12:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the article that called him a "leftwing pothead." That is nothing but ancedote and worth about as much as Limbaugh's frothing, lie-laced blather.

I find it humorous that he's being called an atheist with no citation.

And as for the Ft. Hood shootings, they too, were carried out by a madman and his religion doesn't matter. There are plenty of Christian madmen who have done the same, and worse. It simply points up the evils of religion.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  12:43:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, because the role of the press in this country should be as for-profit entertainment.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  12:59:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The point was that your idea that there's a big lefty network like Air America to "cancel out" Rush Limbaugh is a laugh.

That was obvious tongue and cheek, or so I thought. The point was that there could be a converse to Rush and nothing is stopping there from being one, well, other than the free market. And just because no converse to Rush can survive in the free market is no reason to try censorship thinly cloaked and disguised as the "fairness" doctrine. Let it stand on it's on two feet, if it can.

As is your idea that anyone is stereotyping conservatives as murderous lunatics. While the right certainly has cranked up the violent rhetoric over the last decade, that only makes them blowhards.

Hahaha! Did you see Olberman frothing and foaming at the mouth in his ramblings, all before the barrel of the gun had evened cooled down?

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  13:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I read the article that called him a "leftwing pothead." That is nothing but ancedote and worth about as much as Limbaugh's frothing, lie-laced blather.

So now that it comes out that he is being described as a "left wing pothead" by his friends and classmates you shift your rant to Rush Limbaugh, as if it's his fault the atheist left wing pothead blew a gasket?!?!?!

I find it humorous that he's being called an atheist with no citation.

I never called him an atheist with no citation. I just said he was an atheist, period, based on him saying so himself.

And as for the Ft. Hood shootings, they too, were carried out by a madman and his religion doesn't matter. There are plenty of Christian madmen who have done the same, and worse. It simply points up the evils of religion.

Well than using your logic these shootings, by an "atheistic left wing pothead", simply point up the evils of left wing atheism.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.