Oh No! Toxic Energy?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  11:02:34  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a fun read about Feng Shui.

Here is one of my favorites.
Broken Machinery
For feng shui practitioners, electronic objects represent strength and power. Broken machinery/appliances will eventually manifest in your life as a health problem, failed relationship, or toxic work situation. Either take the equipment to be fixed or throw it out.

Oh No! My old VCR that I keep in the entertainment center might cause me health problems! I'm throwing that old thing away as soon as I get home tonight!

Are the people that write crap like this really serious?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

Edited by - Ebone4rock on 01/13/2011 11:03:20

homm88

1 Post

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  14:46:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send homm88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe in anything paranormal, but this doesn't seem anything unbelievable. There have been some studies on pessimism and how it affects us, and I find it safe to say that having a negative mindset can cause stress.

When you look at your old VCR, what are the thoughts you'll have?
"why is this piece of junk still here"
"great, I have to get it fixed and it will probably cost quite a bit of money :/"
"I want to watch a movie and I can't, well that's annoying"

Basically - negative thoughts. Causes stress, which in turn can lead to other issues such as depression and exhaustion.

Tried to give across my point as simplified as possible so hope you wont mind me not going too much into details. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  15:34:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by homm88

I don't believe in anything paranormal, but this doesn't seem anything unbelievable. There have been some studies on pessimism and how it affects us, and I find it safe to say that having a negative mindset can cause stress.

"great, I have to get it fixed and it will probably cost quite a bit of money :/"

Basically - negative thoughts. Causes stress, which in turn can lead to other issues such as depression and exhaustion.

Tried to give across my point as simplified as possible so hope you wont mind me not going too much into details. ;)

I do understand what you are saying about optimism vs. pessimism but they way they are trying to explain it in that particular article is waaaay too much of a stretch.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  16:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by homm88

Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced here. I suppose one walking into a run-down house every day-- unkempt rooms with broken, old, mismatched furniture-- could be a downer, sure. But that's not from mystical energy.

But me having old broken iPod on a desk doesn't actually cause some mystical negative energy or anything.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  18:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's you run of the mill woo woo, every day common bullshit. It has only one value and that is to get $money$ out of noncritical thinking souls. Penn & Teller did a series on HBO called "Bullshit" and they did an episode on Feng Shui. They had hidden cameras and had three different "Fenging Shuing" Professionals come by, one at a time and do their thingy (congame). It started out.... Well! see the segment here. Based on science! Yeah right, dream on. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 01/13/2011 18:11:27
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  06:52:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

It's you run of the mill woo woo, every day common bullshit. It has only one value and that is to get $money$ out of noncritical thinking souls. Penn & Teller did a series on HBO called "Bullshit" and they did an episode on Feng Shui. They had hidden cameras and had three different "Fenging Shuing" Professionals come by, one at a time and do their thingy (congame). It started out.... Well! see the segment here. Based on science! Yeah right, dream on. SS
$3,000 fee? I am in the wrong business. I could do this if I had no conscience.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  07:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This lady claims to be a Certified Consultant:

http://www.powerfengshui.info/

Sure enough, you can get certified in this crap.

http://www.windwater.com/

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.