Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  20:28:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Careful there, Filth! The brogue may be code for something like.....
That is nothing more than a plea based on ignorance to not dismiss an argument.
Oh, FFS.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  22:45:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
Rat we don't blame all Canadians for the actions of one whackjob or even Bloc Quebecois.
There's also Celine Dion, remember...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  07:58:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Careful there, Filth! The brogue may be code for something like.....
That is nothing more than a plea based on ignorance to not dismiss an argument.

Nah. As this thread has the all of the warm attraction of a Republican goat-fucking, I thought I'd try and lend it a bit of class.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  10:18:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
Rat we don't blame all Canadians for the actions of one whackjob or even Bloc Quebecois.
There's also Celine Dion, remember...

I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN!!!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  15:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on 1,000 posts, Rat.

Now go check your private messages.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  18:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Burns, Shakespeare, O Henry - there is hidden meaning and metaphor everywhere in the classics. And the dangers of a bit of attractive poesy taking root in an untrained and innocent intellect and warping the careless into allowing unCritical Thinking to infect their cognitive processes into committing Error (God should forbid), practicing Imagination and any Thinking that which could suggest a possible Visionary Viewpoint - that must be guarded against at any cost - lest an innovator stray from the only road to real redemption of any sort - The hallowed one of utilizing Scientific Methodology and applying only the concomitant mandatory Catechism of Critical Thinking.

I do stand in awe before these pillars of rectitude, and I recognize the malevolent dangers inherent in contemplating of art for art's sake, humor for humor's sake and, most of all, the frightening possibility of Creative Thinking usurping even a smidge of the proper domain of Critical Thinking - that is ALL thinking.... may Deus ex Machina be irrevocably be proven to actually be Imperium ex machina and then All will be Well with the World!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  19:06:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...and I recognize the malevolent dangers inherent in contemplating of art for art's sake, humor for humor's sake and, most of all, the frightening possibility of Creative Thinking usurping even a smidge of the proper domain of Critical Thinking...
Then I feel pity for you.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  20:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dave.....

Burns, Shakespeare, O Henry - there is hidden meaning and metaphor everywhere in the classics. And the dangers of a bit of attractive poesy taking root in an untrained and innocent intellect and warping the careless into allowing unCritical Thinking to infect their cognitive processes into committing Error (God should forbid), practicing Imagination and any Thinking that which could suggest a possible Visionary Viewpoint - that must be guarded against at any cost - lest an innovator stray from the only road to real redemption of any sort - The hallowed one of utilizing Scientific Methodology and applying only the concomitant mandatory Catechism of Critical Thinking.

I do stand in awe before these pillars of rectitude, and I recognize the malevolent dangers inherent in contemplating of art for art's sake, humor for humor's sake and, most of all, the frightening possibility of Creative Thinking usurping even a smidge of the proper domain of Critical Thinking - that is ALL thinking.... may Deus ex Machina be irrevocably be proven to actually be Imperium ex machina and then All will be Well with the World!

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but creative thinking is central to the scientific method and the type of critical evaluation involved.

It all starts out with some one asking a question, usually it starts with "I wonder...". Then you flense away the nonsense with a sharp knife, the result is.. well, every single technological advance in the last 300 years.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

xjudgex
Dennis Markuze

1 Post

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  20:46:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send xjudgex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Dennis is not allowed to post here.]
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  04:03:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by xjudgex

[Dennis is not allowed to post here.]

Leeches are wonderful creatures. They have been and are still used medically, make good fish bait, are fascinating aquarium pets, and are excellent for grossing out the hopelessly squeamish. I know this, as, being attracted to swamps, I’ve some little experience with them.

I once had what we called a "Barber‘s Leech," turn up in an aquarium. It probably came in with some plants. Before tossing it, I studied it a bit, and as it turned out, I didn’t toss the leech (in the creek, not the privy) until I tore the tank down some months later. I found it to be as interesting as the fish.

What‘s not to love?

Collecting leeches

Leeches can be collected by either using a small dip net, or gently with forceps. Many of the leeches you find are probably non-bloodsucking varieties. Most leeches, in fact, feed on small invertebrates such as snails, worms, and insect larvae. There are other leeches that have been found to eat fish & amphibian eggs, and feed on decaying matter at the bottom of their water source. Some of the bloodsucking leeches attach themselves to an organism such as fish and frogs for food.

If you prefer the easy way to look for leeches you can visit or order from your local science supply shop. Both Carolina Biological and Wards carry leeches.
And once you’ve acquired your precious leeches, you’ll need to know how to care for them. Read on, future leech-fanciers, read on……

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.