Break out the good booze!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  05:10:22  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One vile, conservative son-of-a-bitch is out of office.
The Indiana Attorney General's office announced Wednesday that the deputy attorney general who called for Wisconsin riot police to use deadly force on protesters is no longer employed by the agency, according to WISH.

Update (2:30 pm ET): Indiana official delete personal blog

An Indiana deputy attorney general who called for Wisconsin riot police to use "live ammunition" on protesters has deleted his personal blog.

Jeff Cox had claimed that Mother Jones would try to "silence" him.

Original report continues below...

What it is, the power struggle between Capital and Labor continues unabated. What all too few realize is that Labor must come first, as there can be no Capital without it. So fuck the greedheads and raise a glass to Mr. Cox's walking shoes. Then vote Union because they are all that stands between us and wage-slavery.

(Actually, I prefer Evan Williams but Jack has more name recognition.)

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  12:02:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a moron. Sure. Shoot teachers and firemen and cops even for a peaceable assembly.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  14:05:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

What a moron. Sure. Shoot teachers and firemen and cops even for a peaceable assembly.

I'm afraid that's what it would come to if the ignoramuses here in Wisconsin had their way.
Scott Walker is a lying manipulative piece of shit and it seems that much of the general public has been sucked into his side. Never before in my life have I heard such vocal negativity towards the public servants who in the past have been treated with so much respect.

Quite rankly I do not think that the idiot demonstrators are doing anything to help the cause either. It's chaos. This whole thing is tearing apart families, friends, and co-workers. You can cut the tension around here with a knife.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  14:29:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evone4rock:
I do not think that the idiot demonstrators are doing anything to help the cause either.

Really? I'd like to know why you think they are idiots. You do know that it's they who have caused a very negative lite to shine down on your governor nationally. And they have prompted those in other states to follow their lead, just as the stupid tea party governors have chosen to follow Walkers lead. Honestly, what makes the demonstrators idiots?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  14:39:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rude Pundit speaks forth:
Note to Republican Governors: Pissing Off the Unions Is Never a Good Idea:
Here's a little recent history lesson for the day: Back in 2005, the newly-elected governor of Indiana, Mitch Daniels, on his second day in office, canceled all union contracts by executive order, ending collective bargaining rights for two-thirds of state workers, many of whom earned less than $30,000 a year. Some of those contracts were supposed to be in effect until 2007. At the time, Daniels said that union contracts were not acceptable at a time when the state faced a $1.5 billion deficit.

One would think that, like in a village where a noble knight defeated a terrible dragon, all would be well in Indiana once this workers' right was eliminated, for, indeed, Daniels said it would make the state whole. Yet here we are, in 2011, and, oh, wait, Indiana has a $1.6 billion deficit. And now Daniels wants to limit collective bargaining rights for teachers. He had wanted to turn Indiana into a "right-to-work" state, effectively killing unionization, to close the budget gap, but when Democrats in the legislature went to Illinois to stop the vote, Daniels backed down.

In 2004, Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher, and, in 2005, in his first act as Missouri governor, Matt Blunt both issued executive orders rescinding collective bargaining rights, which had been granted by previous administrations through such orders. Easy come, easy go. Blunt was at least, you know, blunt about it, saying that he didn't think state workers should have to pay dues. He didn't say it was a cure for the budget woes. He just didn't think state workers should be in unions. Would that such honesty was part of the discussion now.

The foul Koch brothers, et al., want the country to revert back to the turn of the last century, but, as we are seeing, that ain't happening. The unions gave the us the forty hour work week, paid overtime, paid vacations, workplace safety, and other benefits. Men and women died to give us these things. If they want Haymarket again, they can have it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  15:43:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Evone4rock:
I do not think that the idiot demonstrators are doing anything to help the cause either.

Really? I'd like to know why you think they are idiots. You do know that it's they who have caused a very negative lite to shine down on your governor nationally. And they have prompted those in other states to follow their lead, just as the stupid tea party governors have chosen to follow Walkers lead. Honestly, what makes the demonstrators idiots?

Because the local news runs many stories a day. Whenever a reporter is trying to interview a demonstrator and they ask them straight forward question about things that they should know about all they give is incoherent nonsense which is immediately followed by a crowd forming and chanting. Is that really what the nation should see? From what I see is that is is the demonstrators who are cast in a negative light rather than Walker.
I want to hear at least one demontrator say something more detailed than " WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT OUR PEOPLE!!" I am also sick of the drum circles. What the fuck is up with drum circles?

Really, this whole thing is tearing people apart. I am not looking forward to band rehearsal tonight because I know that my lead guitar player and I are going to go at it. He is very vocal about his support for Walker and I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  16:44:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Originally posted by Kil

Evone4rock:

Because the local news runs many stories a day. Whenever a reporter is trying to interview a demonstrator and they ask them straight forward question about things that they should know about all they give is incoherent nonsense which is immediately followed by a crowd forming and chanting. Is that really what the nation should see? From what I see is that is is the demonstrators who are cast in a negative light rather than Walker.
I want to hear at least one demontrator say something more detailed than " WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT OUR PEOPLE!!" I am also sick of the drum circles. What the fuck is up with drum circles?

Really, this whole thing is tearing people apart. I am not looking forward to band rehearsal tonight because I know that my lead guitar player and I are going to go at it. He is very vocal about his support for Walker and I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.
Hmmm... National news is not showing us people who don't seem to know why they are there. Makes me wonder if local news has a bias. Is it all local news or just the local fox station? How strange.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  20:28:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I find ironic is that Republicans complain that the health care these employees get is costing the state too much. Yet they refused to engage in an honest discussion about health care reform. I am tired of politicians not being able to think about the future. If you aren't supporting the teachers, what kind of teachers will you get teaching our children.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  05:17:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by alienist

One thing I find ironic is that Republicans complain that the health care these employees get is costing the state too much. Yet they refused to engage in an honest discussion about health care reform. I am tired of politicians not being able to think about the future. If you aren't supporting the teachers, what kind of teachers will you get teaching our children.

Actually Wisconsin has a pretty decent public health care program.
Check it out.
I am willing to bet that it is on Walkers agenda to get rid of it though.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  08:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the 40 hour work week: unions didn't get that one for us. Henry Ford, in an effort to maximize productivity, did(as in paid independent research firms) a lot of research on the subject. The conclusion was that 8 hour days and 40 hour weeks resulted in more productivity than 10-12 hour days and longer weeks. You actually work more in 40 hours than you do in 50, go figure.

So it is in the best interest of companies and government to keep the 40 hour week.

I have some references I'll post when I get home tonight.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  08:52:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

About the 40 hour work week: unions didn't get that one for us. Henry Ford, in an effort to maximize productivity, did(as in paid independent research firms) a lot of research on the subject. The conclusion was that 8 hour days and 40 hour weeks resulted in more productivity than 10-12 hour days and longer weeks. You actually work more in 40 hours than you do in 50, go figure.

So it is in the best interest of companies and government to keep the 40 hour week.

I have some references I'll post when I get home tonight.

40 hour work week? What is that? Man, that would be like a vacation to me!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  19:04:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do 32 hours/week, but I only do night shifts. 4 nights/week, 8 hour each.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  19:07:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock
Because the local news runs many stories a day. Whenever a reporter is trying to interview a demonstrator and they ask them straight forward question about things that they should know about all they give is incoherent nonsense which is immediately followed by a crowd forming and chanting.

How can you be sure this is an accurate representation of the events as they occur? A lot of stuff happens in the editing room, especially if the news outlet has an agenda...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  19:18:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm.. the silver miners on the Comstock Lode had an eight-hour day andovertime pay back in the 1870s.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  21:45:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unions began demanding an eight hour day as early as 1836. I doubt that Ford would have moved to an eight hour day if the unions hadn't forced it to do so.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.