Goosebumps. Who needs them?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  09:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Top 10 Signs Of Evolution In Modern Man

Yeah. Goosebumps are my favorite on the list, but vestigial parts in humans are pretty well known. I like this list, however.
Humans get goose bumps when they are cold, frightened, angry, or in awe. Many other creatures get goose bumps for the same reason, for example this is why a cat or dog’s hair stands on end and the cause behind a porcupine’s quills raising. In cold situations, the rising hair traps air between the hairs and skin, creating insulation and warmth. In response to fear, goose bumps make an animal appear larger – hopefully scaring away the enemy. Humans no longer benefit from goose bumps and they are simply left over from our past when we were not clothed and needed to scare our own natural enemies. Natural selection removed the thick hair but left behind the mechanism for controlling it.

Read on...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  11:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good article, although some of it has been argued here with various creationoafs. My own favorites are Jacobson'e Organ and the Plantaris Muscle, the latter due to a smashed foot & ankle and the former because, while I am down to a single snake, I see it in use quite often. I wish my own worked that well. Or, the state of the world today being what it is, maybe not.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  12:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

Humans no longer benefit from goose bumps and they are simply left over from our past when we were not clothed and needed to scare our own natural enemies. Natural selection removed the thick hair but left behind the mechanism for controlling it.

Read on...
Kil, that was beautiful. Along with many of Filthy's contributions, Penseur's remarkable postings, Dude's solid statements (when of five-letter or better, words), and Mooner's incomparable humor -- these are some of the reasons that I can't leave this place for very long. I have told Dave elsewhere that I probably learn more from him than anyone on SFN. But there are many sources of real education here. And as I grasshop my way to terminus, SFN is wonderful scenery!

I hope we don't muck it up too much with the endless sniping and crossfire. I realize that it is inevitable and that I contribute to it frequently. But I am trying to let there be a little peace on Earth, and maybe to let it begin with me (to paraphrase one of the old Skeptical Hymns)

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  17:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second that, for my self too. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  19:26:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always been fascinated by the link between sickle cell anemia and malaria. It turns out that having sickle cell trait protects against malaria. Epidemiologists have also noted that blacks in the US do not have the same frequency of sickle cell trait as in Africa. There is no advantage to having sickle cell trait where there is no malaria.

The other evidence of human evolution is development of lactose tolerance.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  19:44:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking that I would rather mental illnesses be explained as a side effect of evolution. Because any "intelligent designer" who would allow or cause mental illnesses to develop is just beyond cruel. It makes me wonder why some people see god as so wonderful.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds.