’Tis an ill wind indeed…
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  04:22:54  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But this one could blow us some good after all.

I don't care all that much about football. I rarely watch it; get pissed when it preempts something I want to see, and fail to understand what all the excitement is about. As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is a waste of noise. I do, however, like chicken wings.

Currently, there is player's strike or an owner's lockout, or some damned thing, that, I'm told might kill this year's season. I am less than panicked over this; in fact I rejoice just a little. Why, I hear you ask? Well, being as how I am on the side of the unions, I see a chance for some guys with a professional career that usually lasts less than five years get a little piece bread out of the owner's bloated stash. And the price of store-boughten chicken wings will drop like a stone. Did I mention that I really like chicken wings?

(NEW YORK) -- With NFL owners and players in a standoff, the CEO of one of the nation's largest chicken farms warns that a long-lasting football lockout would be bad news for a gameday staple, the chicken wing.

"It will be a major blow," said Joe Sanderson Jr., CEO of Sanderson Farms, the fourth largest poultry company in the U.S. "If we don't have Sunday football, the demand will go down tremendously, and of course, if that happens, the price will go down."

Chicken wings are big business. According to Sanderson, wings account for 12 percent of his company's output, and the National Chicken Council estimates that in 2011, more than 13.5 billion wings will be marketed. Of course, football and wings are inextricably linked.

So, you see, it would be a win/win situation from our, or at least my own point of view. No pro football for a year and cheap wings. What's not to love?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  09:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

But this one could blow us some good after all.

I don't care all that much about football. I rarely watch it; get pissed when it preempts something I want to see, and fail to understand what all the excitement is about. As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is a waste of noise.
Same here. Gave up watching 15 years ago and discovered I had an extra day each week during the fall & winter to do other things. Not sure I'll benefit from cheaper chicken wings.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  12:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't affect me at all since I live on an entirely different continent. But being a union guy myself, I sure like seeing people who demonstrate what a difference it makes to stand together on an issue. As long as the demands are reasonable, of course.
As for the chicken... I'm more of a drumstick-person. With hot chilli spices.
Edited to add: Or curry. You can never go wrong with curry.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 03/26/2011 14:02:25
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  14:09:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I stopped caring about sports last year. Too much hoopla for something that isn't important. Chicken wings are awesome.

I'm even more perplexed this time of year when people actually care about college basketball.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.