Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  10:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm once again happy to report that I will be attending TAM this year. And again, it's only through the generosity of a sponsor who shall remain unnamed and a grant from the JREF. I honestly couldn't have gone it without their help.

The Amaz!ng Meeting 2011

Here's a list of speakers this year, which includes, I'm happy to say, Derek and Swoopy! Way cool!!! (Derek said he made the D list.)

Once again, I'm hoping that other SFN members will be there. Come on now! There must be someone who can join me as part of an SFN contingent? Pull your thumb out and do it! You will not be sorry!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  13:00:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do these meetings ever come to the East coast?

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  21:18:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by alienist

Do these meetings ever come to the East coast?
The last TAM on the east coast was TAM5.5 in Florida. Since there are now smaller versions of TAM in England and Australia, plus a few cruises, I guess they stopped doing that one. The biggest TAM is the one held in Vegas. However, CSI puts on events too. I think they had one in Washington DC last year.

My guess is Vegas is the place because of cost. Great deals can be had in Vegas, and all thte main TAM's have been there since TAM3.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  20:21:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Maybe when I have more money and when my son is a few years older. Right now he is 4 years old and can't stand being away from him for longer than a couple of days. Of course, when he is a teenager, he will be glad when I go to Vegas, because I won't be around to embarrass him....

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  04:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested that they paid for you to go, are you participating in some way? Or is this just because you are involved in a skeptical website?

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  07:24:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I'm interested that they paid for you to go, are you participating in some way? Or is this just because you are involved in a skeptical website?
No. I just applied for a Jref forum grant and received one. I knew there was no other way I could go, work being what it is. Anyone can do it, but the grants are limited to how much is donated to the grant fund. You do need to say why you think you should get a grant, and of course I mentioned that I'm a cofounder and administrator here at SFN. But I think it's pretty much first come first serve.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  09:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, maybe I will apply next year.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  10:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Vegas. I will not have a computer this time. There is a business area where I can rent computer time. Hopefully I can get there and send updates to SFN. I doubt that they will be as frequent as in past years, but there's not much I can do about it. Michelle needs her computer this week, and that's the one I have been taking. I tried to find a netbook at Radio Shack but they don't seem to carry them. And that's the only card I'm willing to use for such a thing. I'm not going to buy a computer out of the general funds, even a cheap PC, for five days use a year. Anyhow, I'm not gone yet. But I sure have a lot to do today to get ready.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  18:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have fun, Kil!

Give Barb a hug for me.

I'm sorry I can't make it. It should be a show!

If you think it's work, you're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  19:00:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Badger

Have fun, Kil!

Give Barb a hug for me.

I'm sorry I can't make it. It should be a show!
Thanks! Will do!

And dang, I wish you were going to be there too!!!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  18:45:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Turns out I have my roommmates pc to use. I'll check in later with news so far. The reception starts in a few minutes so aI must get ready to go...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  01:35:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So. Today was good. Of course, I had to fight through a two day hangover but enough coffee will get you through almost anything. I can’t go into much detail but I can say that the level of presentations was up and the last two were stunningly good. and highlighted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s keynote. I’ll try to get into some detail when I get home. I can bairly use this computer. So sorry.

Oh, and I just got back from Penn’s privet doughnut and bacon party. Fun! He was the lead singer and played bass, and he’s pretty freaking good! Good choice of songs too.

I’ve run into a lot of old friends, and that’s nice. Took Thorgolucky around to get pictures with people and introduced him to Derek and Swoopy, Jim Lippard, Daniel Loxton and many other people. Photos will follow. Randi was especially cool.

Anyhow, it’s going great here...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

froydnslp

22 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  02:26:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send froydnslp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you were able to find a way to post! Hey!!! See if anyone there is involved in a kids cartoon called something about Ruff Ruffman.(P and T were on it and it was GREAT!) Maisie and I love it and I it's all about critical thinking. And tell Randi I named her Maisie after the aMAISIng meetings. It's a crock, but maybe it will get her a free baby shirt. : ) Have fun and keep us all posted!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  07:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually,there have been some logistical changes that I'm not thrilled with. But with 1600 people here, I suppose it's understandable. Like no tables to eat breakfast at. Everyone is cool as usual.

I have no way to spell check this, by the way, so if there are mistakes, sorry about that. I can't believe some of the people who are just walking up and chatting with me. That's kinda cool. I did walk out of the Paul Povesnsa show because it sucked and I got in free anyway, because I was a ticket taker and I was hungry for something to eat.

I'd be posting more but I can't even figure out how to copy and paste on this computer. Sigh... IE sucks!!!!

Anyhow this will be a full day and because of all the complaints about having the keynotes after dinner because people had plans for the evening, Sunday will be a full TAM day which is also something new. That debate, RW and RD is going on here with people pretty much taking the same sides as what we saw on this forum. Oh well... Lots of elevator jokes.

I need coffee...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  08:48:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Losts of elevator jokes.

Have you heard this one?
Q. How many men are likely ride on an elevator with RW OR RD at this convention?
A. None! There's no room with all the women waiting by the elevators for then to use one?

It might be interesting to hear some of them if your memory permits.

SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

froydnslp

22 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  00:32:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send froydnslp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elevator jokes. But how is the general tone? Is there indeed a split? Or is everyone just WAAY too into the fun to be angry? Also...Loftus? How was that? btw, I can pick you up on the 18th. Need to know what time. did not really feel any of these emoticons. I have just never had the opportunity to use them, so I thought, what the hell...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.