Stargate Atlantis scene
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  18:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I've been watching a lot of Stargate lately, and just started episode 16 of season 5 of Stargate Atlantis, when I encountered the following scene at about eight minutes in. Since YouTube isn't being my friend tonight (edited: it is now), and for the benefit of those with low bandwidth channels, I'll make a transcript.

The scene begins with Dr. Rodney McKay (a sort of generic "scientist") taking his coworker and would-be girlfriend, Dr. Jennifer Keller (MD, played by the wonderful Jewel Staite), to a scientific conference on Earth. While sampling the food and wondering where, exactly, they were (the conference was being held in a "secret bunker"), they hear a voice:

Bill Nye (himself): Rodney McKay? I had it on good authority that you were dead.

McKay: Oh, ha ha.

Neil deGrasse Tyson (himself): And this would be your... sister?

McKay: No, no, Neil, you know she's not my sister, this is Jennifer Keller. [To Keller] That's Bill Nye and [mumbling] Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Tyson: [To Keller] You know... from television.

Keller: Yeah, um, of course. Very nice to meet you.

Tyson: No, the pleasure is mine.

McKay: And she's taken, Neil!

Tyson: No, I didn't mean it that way, no!

McKay: [To Keller] Neil likes to steal things from me, things like women and theoretical physics ideas.

Tyson: [To Nye, smiling] Yeah, but who hasn't stolen an idea from the great Rodney McKay?

McKay: Oh, so we admit it now.

Nye: [To Keller] See back in the day whenever any one of these people [gesturing to other conference-goers] came up with a new idea or published a new paper, Dr. McKay here would swear that he was already working on something very similar, just hadn't gotten around to publishing it yet.

Tyson: He'd say thing like, "I was about to say that very same thing!" or "I was just about to have that same idea!"

McKay: Hey, at least I didn't declassify Pluto from planet status. Way to make all the little kids cry, Neil. Did that make you feel like a big man?

Nye: [To Keller] See, thanks to Dr. Tyson, Pluto is now the first of the Plutoids, a new class of celestial object! It's cool! [To McKay] Come on, Rodney, it's the 21st century!

Tyson: Actually, come to think of it, when was the last time you even published a paper? Like, the eighties?

McKay: It... hasn't... been that long.

Nye: I think I was listening to that band... A Flock of Seagulls, while I was reading it.

Tyson: Actually, I think it might have been pre-Reagan!

McKay: Well, it sure has been great running into you guys. We should maybe get our seats.

Keller: Bye.

[McKay and Keller leave. Nye whistles as Tyson cranes his neck to get a look at Keller's backside]

Tyson: They can't possibly be dating.

Nye: I know. Well, Neil you're married, so... dibs!

Tyson: She's all yours.

Tyson and Nye (much more Nye) get a little more face-time mostly for comic relief later in the episode. A really lousy Stephen Hawking impersonator shows up, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  19:37:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked that episode, especially because of the cameos(?).
Isn't it called cameo when they appear as themselves?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  19:58:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cameo appearances.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  20:42:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would have been perfect if, as they settle down to hear the first lecture, Phil Plait steps to the podium.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  20:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I guess it would technically be a guest appearance?

Anyway, I watched the YouTube video. Funny stuff. Nye and Tyson together is funny by itself, and Tyson's acting was actually good.

I used to watch Stargate just to laugh at how corny and cheesy it was. But that was years ago, maybe it has improved.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  04:58:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Baxter
I used to watch Stargate just to laugh at how corny and cheesy it was. But that was years ago, maybe it has improved.

I used to watch it for Amanda Tapping.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  05:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it is corny and cheesy, however the new 'Stargate: Universe' show is great not like the others at all.

Also the greatest guest appearance was Jean Claude Van Damme on the show 'Las Vegas', he plays himself and then gets murdered.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  07:50:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love the Chuck Norris appearance in Dodgeball.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  14:31:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Also the greatest guest appearance was Jean Claude Van Damme on the show 'Las Vegas', he plays himself and then gets murdered.
A "spoiler alert" would have been nice. That's the episode I'm in the middle of, now.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  19:03:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's the episode I'm in the middle of, now.
Or maybe not. It was called "Vegas," though.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  20:07:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. I didn't realize that season 5 was the end of Atlantis. Time to start Universe...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.