The site was down
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  08:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the site was down for a while this morning. According to our web master, @tomic, our web host took the site down for maintenance early this morning and goofed up some settings in the process.

So, no cause for alarm.

(If you tried entering your password at the prompt, it hasn't been compromised.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  11:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did this happen about two weeks ago as well? Strangely, there's another site (www.progressiveears.com - a prog rock forum) that was giving me the exact same issues; today as well as the time two weeks ago. No other sites had the problem for me.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  13:35:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Yes, the site was down for a while this morning.

My sincere apologies. A highly paranoid, totally unfair thought skittered across my mind when I was refused entramce to lurk last night. I genuinely, sincerely apologize, Dave!

Bill
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  16:11:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it was down again for a bit today. I was worried. Turned my back for a couple of weeks and poof, it was gone!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  16:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI it happened to me about 30 minutes ago for about ten minutes. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  17:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it happened today, was it asking for a user name and password in a pop-up box, and then saying "you are not authorized?"

Or was it saying "service unavailable" without asking for a log-in?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  21:07:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your asking me, I was trying to "Preview a Reply" on a post I was writing and was getting no response. I was thinking my connection went down, so I opened another tab and was able to go every where else on the internet but got a "site not replying , time out" message trying to goto www.skepticfriends.org/. Only for 10 minutes or less. Not long. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  21:27:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I just had a "not replying" problem for about ten minutes (though Firefox kept on trying).

Damn, this sucks.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  21:33:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This site always seems to run slow at random times, though. Usually not for long periods, but sometimes even the homepage can hang up until it times out for me. Then I check back 10 minutes later and it's fine.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  21:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to remember to look for gaps in our logs. Unfortunately, we're only getting a little over 1,000 visitors a day, so I don't know that I'll be able to get a high enough resolution on visits to say, "this ten-minute period should have had umpty-ump visitors but had none." Especially late at night or early in the morning. But data collection is where I need to start if I want to build a case that something is wrong with our servers or connections.

The more people who post here with "I got no reply for X minutes at time T" the better, too. At least until we get this sorted out.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  22:26:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to set up some kind of "ping test" with a simple script and keeping it running for a few weeks? Just ping the website every 5 seconds and graph the results. See if any patterns emerge. Sounds easy to me, but then that's probably because I know absolutely nothing about such things.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.