The Lightning Rod
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  00:46:24  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SFN.....

My goodness gracious!

Dave posted, in an extraordinary act of courtesy:
Actually, I'll go ahead and agree with Dude completely. If bngbuck wants the thread re-opened, he knows how to get in touch with us. If he wants to start another thread on his own terms, he's also free to do that.
I apologize, bngbuck, for my abysmally rude behavior in starting this thread.
My sincere thanks, Dave for your very admirable statement of contrition. However, there is no apology needed. I felt that your new thread under Kil's suggestion was an extremely clever gambit to some of the manipulative language that I had used in earlier posts. I particularly admired the titling of the thread. You play one mean game of counter chess!

Actually, I really do have my doubts about the possible benefit of continuing this discussion irrespective of what fucking thread it occupies. I remain puzzled by Kil's preoccupation with the "highjacking" of Alexander's thread - given what preceded my comments and the frequency of such static in many, many threads here. But we all have our eccentricities. Sigh.....!

The only really valid reason that I can see to open this "Lightning Rod" (title courtesy of Alienist) thread is to give anyone, who had some additional electricity to discharge, an appropriate ground to neutral. Or more give and take. But hopefully some catharsis if you still have a heavy hard-on or wet woo-hoo! Therapy, therapy!

If anyone cares to review what led up to this go here

Thanks, Dude for your consideration. Old farts never forget.

So with absolutely no desire for martyrdom, no subjective masochism, only a wish for tying up loose ends and possibly learning more about one of the more dynamic groups I have encountered; I will be happy to respond (or not, if requested) to questions or commentary.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  08:25:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill:
Actually, I really do have my doubts about the possible benefit of continuing this discussion irrespective of what fucking thread it occupies. I remain puzzled by Kil's preoccupation with the "highjacking" of Alexander's thread - given what preceded my comments and the frequency of such static in many, many threads here. But we all have our eccentricities. Sigh.....!
Well, I thought I explained that. So did Dude as we cross posted. As I said, I saw that BPS had taken a swipe at you and was fine with your response to that. But the thread was quickly devolving into a thread about you, capped off with your final post which was all about your grievances and were mainly about another thread or threads. The train that was Alexander's thread had run off the rails with issues you have about SFN that have nothing to do with him or his thread. My request (which admittedly could have been stated better) did not come out of left field. I'm tired of seeing threads devolve into flame wars and it is my feeling that posts not pertinent or least somehow tangental to the OP of a thread are counter productive. Call it an eccentricity if you like. I think it's good moderation.

There is also this. I promote SFN heavily on facebook and really wherever I can. We even have a SFN facebook page with over 900 members. I run that page by myself. Our summaries are posted there along with other things that are of interest to skeptics. I've posted links to threads on this forum there. We have picked up several members here in that way. And then there are the lurkers. They are always with us, and some of them have become members. So what image do I want to project for our site? Constant flame wars between members or a place where those things that are of interest or concern to our community can be discussed openly and fairly? We already have a reputation as a tough forum, and as best I can, I have been trying to make it a civil forum without resorting to treating our members like children. Anyhow, there is most definitely a PR aspect to what I do as the public face of SFN. I always have at least one eye on that. It's not my wish to scare away potential members with all the bickering. (Debates are fine, but this bickering is a drag.) So perhaps that will shed some more light on what you call my "eccentricities."

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  19:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bngbuck, if you've ever merely thought that I was playing along in some game of yours, then you win. I can't possibly succeed in my actual goals when faced with such a mindset. Collect your prize from yourself.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  21:45:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

if you've ever merely thought that I was playing along in some game of yours, then you win.
Dave, in my internalization of discourse as a game, there are never winners or losers. Only players.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  09:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we would all benefit from keeping our emotions a little bit more in check, before hitting the post reply button. Advice for those capable of doing so. On forums, everyone could benefit from not taking every criticism as a physical assault that demands a reply that goes one notch higher. Ignoring it works for me when I do. Over time I've realized that we come here for the EXCHANGE of opinions and the fun of it, not to piss each other off. Well 99% do. I know for a fact that some of my post have read not as intended but that comes with the territory sometimes. Especially when emotions are part of a thread or reply. SS

P.S. I'm telling you all right now , if there is going to be hugging and kissing, I'm out of here. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  22:09:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SS.....

we come here for the EXCHANGE of opinions and the fun of it,
I try, SS. Sometimes I fail. But I'll keep trying! Thanks for your kind and gentle bigger view!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  07:18:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From this thread: (emphasis below mine)
bngbuck wrote:
Then we should have told him in the very first response to his OP: "If you did not bring evidence of a material nature that can be conclusively analyzed as "alien" - from your adventures many years ago when you were abducted as a child - then stop posting now or we will ban or suspend or at least ignore you" - Is this what you mean?

You still don't get it do you? We've been telling you for weeks now that SFN don't ban or suspend people for crazy claims they make. They get banned because they do their best to get banned by intentionally being assholes provoking it, or litterally asking for it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.